Unenclosed live connections above light fittings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the instructions for the light need to be found as they will need to form part of the O&M manual for compliance with CDM, so once you have those then you will be fine.

Placing out of reach, is restricted to instructed & competent persons basically.

The light does seem wrong, but how big is the gap?

What IP rating would it meet?

IP2x?

Remember it is only the accessible top surface of consumer units that must meet IP4x, sides can be 2x.

Pretty unlikely anyone would be poking above the plate, but something seems wrong, I've neevr seen a fitting with exposed connector blocks like that, so he 'missing part' theory seems very probable.

Looking at the second photo, it seems the sides are enclosed but we are looking through the fitting. Perhaps a couple of end caps are missing. 

Revved up, are you signing off other people's work within your company? Is there any markings on the fitting? Eg CE or F? I would be asking questions about the installer if I found this.  They can't just fit stuff and hope it will be passed. What else is unenclosed.

Thanks again for all the comments which I appreciate. Yes if I'd been provided with manufacturers info it would have helped me immensely. I will have to try and get that information I need. In the meantime I just wanted to gauge other sparks opinions on those light fittings - I had hoped that someone on here had installed some.

Yes Rob, I sign off work done by installation teams within my company.

I think whatever anyone comes up with , there are still exposed terminals .   Even the well known ...connectors to light fitting pushed up into the ceiling is frowned upon .   The lampholder situation is a separate issue really and nothing to do with original query.  TBH.    

If I had been the contractor , I would have demanded a visit from the lighting company rep. or raising it with the architect who no doubt specified them .   Don't think I'd be fitting them TBH.    

Didn't you get a belt off some dodgy bathroom light fittings recently?

Yes James, thanks for reminding me.

I admit I took a huge belt off this light fitting. I am going to write a strongly worded letter to Tamlite about it.

BELT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the original issue. I met up with the project manager yesterday (who works for my company) who agreed that there is a problem with these lights. He said they are not Ansell but mentioned some company I've never heard of, three letters - A something something. He has asked me if I can come up with a quick solution as the project is due for completion on Friday !. I will go back to the site tomorrow and see what I can do.

I wouldn't bodge it. You would be altering the fitting and nullifying the guarantee. Are there any markings on the fitting? Now thinking there might be the double insulation symbol which would prove there are bits missing.

Edit; Quick solution, fit pendants.

Last edited by a moderator: