Updating Electrical Drawings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morning. What's the legislation that says, if as a contractor you make changes to an electrical system on site, in this case a down shop crane, then you must update and provide new copies of the electrical drawings?

Something in CDM, Machinery Directive etc?

Pretty sure this is a statutory requirement. Vaguely remember maybe @Sidewinder quoting what's what ref the requirements.

Cheers

Any changes to safety functions must be suitably designed and validated prior to the implementation.

If they are implemented first, then validated and found to be dangerous, what are you then going to do.

No point in upgrading the drawings, because the mod is dangerous, so the equipment cannot be used.

PUWER & SMSR would apply, as would EAWR.

CDM, potentially, but in situ-machinery modifications are not really construction.

BS 7671 would not apply 110.2, xi.

Ok, their design?

Yes. I've it in writing too from the makers on the lines of "...when we get problems with X, change to Y".

All I was really after with this was confirmation that "we", the ones doing the work have a responsibility to update drawings to reflect work we've done. 

Put in your position I would mark up drawings held on site, including referencing the design authority document you have and attach the latter to the drawing.

I can't see that it's a legal requirement, as those drawings will probably only be prints, the masters being retained elsewhere, (?), but it certainly gives you a defence for what you have done.

(My opinion only, but I'm ex-aerospace industry where such matters are taken very seriously).

As has been said.

I would copy the existing thrice.

Mark the original as the original, and indicate that it “was”, the same thing with one of the copies.

I would update two of the copies to the current level, and indicate “is now”.

I would archive the on site original, on the site.

I would put the marked up print for use on site.

I would then send the “was” & “is now” copies to my office traceably, with instructions to copy them, retaining one of each and sending one of each to the OEM, & requesting that a controlled modified version is issued back through “the system” to replace the on site modifications.

All dated and identified as to who did what.

That way you have done your due diligence, as would your employer.

You would then have a robust defence under PUWER & SMSR.

Latest posts