Uprate or not?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluetobits

Reaction score
My mate came across a lighting circuit today in commercial premises which originally fed 12 100w HP sodium fittings on columns, each with their own cut out. Someone later (don't know when) has then added a number of other bulkhead fittings (also HP Sodium) and now the 10 amp MCB is now up to its limit at just over 10 amps. My question is, would it be wise to uprate to 16 amp MCB without providing FCU's to the extra bulkheads? The circuit is fed with 2.5 cable, not sure about length of run.

not sure of VD not been to site. My only concern was if a bulkhead developed a fault internally, its only means of protection would be a 16A breaker.

That sounds like a lot of lights..

What are the switching arrangements...individual photocells etc or Master timeswitch arrangement ?

not sure of VD not been to site. My only concern was if a bulkhead developed a fault internally, its only means of protection would be a 16A breaker.
No problem 16 A lighting circuits common in commercial installs

That sounds like a lot of lights..What are the switching arrangements...individual photocells etc or Master timeswitch arrangement ?
Again not sure, but i would presume a master photocell without timeswitch due to 24 hour site