Using none manufactures parts in CU's re (segregation of lighting circuits and rcd protection)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted the instruction page from a Wylex C/U recently on a similar thread. It states certain BS numbered breakers only that must be used, not manufacturers. It also did not state a torque setting but did say use Phillips No2 driver.
Am I missing something, but I can't see the bit where it says you must only use Wylex MCB's.As far as I can see it just gives the BS No's of what you can use?

It happens to mention in passing the temperature ratings of their own MCB's, but at no point does it say they are the only ones you can use.

So this thread is all a red herring, at least as far as Wylex boards are concerned then.
I read it that Slipshod is confirming in his link, what you are suggesting Prodave and what he also suggested in an earlier post.

Doc H.

so SW , what is the standard that you are allowed to fit in a 60439 enclosure, if it isnt 60898?

surely you dont have an MK 60439standard, or a wylex 60439 standard,

a standard is a standard, so if an enclosure made to 60439 is suitable for an MCB to 60898 then that is a standard,

otherwise is just an MK box that only meets the standard under certain conditions, and therefore shouldnt be sold as meeting a certain standard only under a caveat.

at least crabtree had the decency (?) to make it impossible to fit anything else in their boards!

at least crabtree had the decency (?) to make it impossible to fit anything else in their boards!
Wasn't there a rouge trader or cowboy builder or watchdog or similar program, that had a dodgy electrician who wedged a bit of 6.0mm into a crabtree bus-bar to supply something or other?

Doc H.

wozz,I think you have misunderstood me again.

It is NOT the MCB that is at issue, it is the enclosure.

Thus as the panel maker is certifying the enclosure they take on the responsibility for any of the MCB's therein.

They take responsibility for their panel designs & manufacture as I do when I select the equipment to go into my panels, build them, and certify them as compliant with the relevant requirements.

It is not 60898 that is in "debate", it is 61439, which is the CU std.
SW, the standard you need to comply with is BS EN 60439-3, part 3 of the standard you refer to has yet to be published i believe, either way, BS EN 60439-3 valid until Nov 2014.

BS EN 60439-1 states;

TYPE-TESTED AND PARTIALLY TYPE-TESTED

ASSEMBLIES

The Standard IEC 60439-1 differentiates between two

categories of assemblies:

I thought I had typed the number wrong!

I typed it wrong once and carried on, it is 60439, but I could not be bothered to look it up to be honest as I thought that the 61439 series had already been published!

It is not the standard that I need to comply for for anything.

The boards I build would not be Type tested assemblies of any kind.

The issue comes from a long sometimes heated in depth debate with one of the global control equipment makers.

You have prompted me to look it up and yes the relevant part of 61439 for consumer units that is -3, has yet to be published the DPC has expired, and 60439-3 is showing as work in hand.

The issue still stands that in the event of an issue then the MCB and the CU makers will do everything in their power to put the blame on the spark that mixed the kit over end of.

The requirements of the standards will go to assist them in this as will their instructions and 7671 along with the BEAMA document re-issued recently.

I don't like it, I don't agree with it, but it is something we are going to have to live with, and one of the reasons for it, well I'll probably get an infraction if I mention it as it will cause a riot in here, and I'd probably get banned for 5 weeks or something.

I'd probably get banned for 5 weeks or something.
:slap

you and mr smith could go and do that course yous are always talking about, :slap

although I think mr smith may have gazumped you, he was absent for about that exact time a while back, :|

Please dont call the electrical police because i installed a Square D breaker in a Magnuss Board today please dont do it.........

whilst were on about different makes, what about same make but different model?

i.e wylex has changed design of the MCB's. what about mixing old & new?

Latest posts