Van Racking

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ha ha, not big enough. been looking at mwb transits on fleabay recent. very tempted.

OK will post some pics soon. Just refitted my astra ven. No side door was becoming a right PITA so I fitted a sliding system on the left hand side which consisted of some unistrut screwed to the ply lined interior base and another pair of unistruts to slide on them, fitted to the bottom of a plywood skid that has mounted on it a rack for 5 storage boxes - (clips, screws, bolts, fuses, crimps) as well as my tool chest with heavy duty tooling - sockets, spanners etc. On the RH side I have a vertical rack made from 2 pieces of unistrut - 1 mounted on the ceiling and one on the floor and a piece of 3/4 ply which slides in and out with storage bins fitted on it. So far so good....

OK will post some pics soon. Just refitted my astra ven. No side door was becoming a right PITA so I fitted a sliding system on the left hand side which consisted of some unistrut screwed to the ply lined interior base and another pair of unistruts to slide on them, fitted to the bottom of a plywood skid that has mounted on it a rack for 5 storage boxes - (clips, screws, bolts, fuses, crimps) as well as my tool chest with heavy duty tooling - sockets, spanners etc. On the RH side I have a vertical rack made from 2 pieces of unistrut - 1 mounted on the ceiling and one on the floor and a piece of 3/4 ply which slides in and out with storage bins fitted on it. So far so good....
I'd like to see that:)

will take some pics tomoz, if I get a chance.... it works really well and cost nothing... well not to me in any case. Galv unistrut was going spare as its no good on the port and we use stainless, bits of ply begged from joiners, and labour was all my own doing. Will post again tomoz with some pics....

I must get round to sorting the back of the berlingo out...currently i have a push bike chucked in there with all my gear ontop of it....

I must get round to sorting the back of the berlingo out...currently i have a push bike chucked in there with all my gear ontop of it....
Yes I hear you can claim 20p/mile from HMRC for taking your bike to work. Didn't know that counted.........

OK have included some pics.....

2012-04-27 10.36.06.jpg

2012-04-27 10.36.37.jpg

2012-04-27 10.36.43.jpg

2012-04-27 10.37.02.jpg

Nice job rev well done mate looks good. Nice bit of woodwork holding all your boxes in looks pukka. Must make something like that myself now lol. Cheers :)

it must just be me, but with all the racking and stuff I couldnt even get my toolboxes into those vans.

maybe I carry too much stuff? and I still never have enough.

the thing is I do servicing work mainly and have a large workshop and store on site where I work, I just need a good selection of kit on hand in the van for breakdowns etc. Anything else just means a trip to the workshop or someone else with a bigger van!

Did you like the little slot for the stepladders?

Trying to get a roofrack fitted next just for when I need a big ladder etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Rev I have Thule racks that were on my 57 vectra don't know wether they would fit on an Astra but they are for sale if they do also have young man ladder clamps.

Rev I have Thule racks that were on my 57 vectra don't know wether they would fit on an Astra but they are for sale if they do also have young man ladder clamps.
not sure they would fit Astra. Thing is the van belongs to the port, I just customised it to suit my use! But thanks for the thought. I did think about making some out of conduit etc, get welders to weld a flange to suit the bolt holes etc but it might look a bit too agricultural!

Latest posts