Vanity unit spur (onsuite) from none RCD light circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jona404

Reaction score
HI

just wondered on the best way to go about this?

There is a SELV extractor fan fitted opposite end of the ceiling but this trips with RCD so must be spurred from another circuit - which am yet to locate

my thoughts:

RCD protect non RCD half of board

RCBO on Lighing circuit only

any thoughts??

It sounds to me worryingly you don't understand what you are doing.

If the fan is tripping the rcd, it is either faulty or has been wired wrong.  Assuming it worked at some point in the past then I would suggest it is faulty.

The vanity unit is a seperate issue.  If feeding it from an non rcd lighting circuit, use an rcd fcu or alternatively change the lighting mcb for an rcbo.

You can't normally fit a second rcd to a split load board as the non rcd side doesn't have it's own main switch, just one for the whole board.

Lol at your standard forum response to a newbie question, (if only coral did odds on that) but your half right I am newly qualified in my own right hence checking my thoughts before proceeding

I should explain more clearly - the problem is not nuisance tripping - there is an extractor fitted far end of on-suite that is clearly not spurred from the lights and when I test the RCD it trips - the lighting circuit is on the unprotected side of the board - for the sake of an RCBO the lighting circuit is immediately adjacent to the proposed additional vanity light

So thank you for explaining that it's more hassle than it's worth converting board and reinforcing the RCBO idea

Kind Regards,

Col

Jona,

You will find that the quality of the response to the question is related to the clarity of the question asked.

I read your post shortly after it was made, and had no idea what you were describing, none of the post made any sense to me whatsoever!

To be honest I'm still not convinced that I understand what your problem is, nor what your question is!

However, welcome to the forum.

Ideally wanting use existing lighting for spur to a vanity unit light however existing lighting not RCD protected

I could spur from extractor which is RCD protected (I assume from the shower) but is other end ceiling - messy

what is the best way to add RCD protection to existing lighting circuit - older couple concerned about lack of RCD on majority circuits hence my thoughts 

1) convert non RCD half of board to RCD

2) just use a single RCBO on the light circuit am adding too

Wandered if if there was a something silly I had missed

Sorry to those offended by my lack of clarity, i hope nobody will lose sleep

Regards

Col

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys really need to learn to read between the lines here......

so he has a selv fan in bathroom which is on a cct which is RCD protected (suspects wired externally to bathroom, maybe with pull cord or humidistat for operation, he now wants a spur for a vanity unit (light) and is concerned it need to be on an RCD, but if he connects via the light cct which isn't RCD protected it won't be. So can he just put light cct on an Rcbo instead. 

I accept no responsibility if I am totally wrong in translation as translation is not my chosen profession. 

Answers on a post card please 

Sorry my mistake, 

when he the trips the RCD he observes that the fan also doesn't work, therefore suggesting fan is on the RCD protected cct. 

vanity unit off lighting circuit, rcbo at cu, minor works since not a new circuit (assuming mcb to rcbo), notify if within zones in England, ensure earthing and bonding are adequate.

ofcourse notifiable as its an on-suite, isn't anything special locations now notifiable additions or otherwise, correct me if am wrong 

rcbo easy option surprise should really have asked how easy is it to rejig a half and half board to become a 2 way RCD board, just for piece of mind for customer 

cheers all that have attempted to help

Latest posts