voltage drop in a circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

searley

Reaction score
i got this last year and can`t find the answer to 10mm two-core mineral insulated cable with copper conductors and sheath and an overall covering of pvc. i have got the 17th onsite guide could the answer been of the old regs 16th ed ?

question

a single phase circuit is wired 10mm two-core mineral insulated cable with copper conductors and sheath and an overall covering of pvc.if the design curent (ib) is 65A AND THE LENGH of the cicuit is 40m. calculate the voltage drop in the curcuit ?

4.2x65x40/1000 = 10.9v

where does 4.2 come from ?

can`t find what i am supposed to be looking for ?

is there an answer in there somewhere ?

how about this one then.

a 3kw load is supplied from a 230v, 50hz supply.the circuit is protected using bs 3036 (rewirable) fuse and is situated 15m away from the db .it is run with.it is run with one other circuit and is buried within the buliding material of the intallation.the temp within the installation can be assumed to be 25c.determine the volt drop ?

you need to work out what the amps will be (I= P/V)

the 3036 has no use in this

nor does the temperature (you need that for current carrying capacity calcs)

then use the formula

VD = mv*A*m /1000

you havent said what cable your using, so ill assume pyro as in first question. also assume its 2L2.5

VD= 17*13*15 / 1000 = 3.315V

did you get the 17mv from the regs if not where ?

are is it you just clever

With questions like this they are putting a lot of info that is not required for the specific question.. you find this a lot with C&G exams.

The info you need for volt drop is..

Length of circuit

Demand of circuit (Amps)

CSA of L & N conductors

So for this question, you are missing some info --- cable size!!

how about this one then.a 3kw load is supplied from a 230v, 50hz supply.the circuit is protected using bs 3036 (rewirable) fuse and is situated 15m away from the db .it is run with.it is run with one other circuit and is buried within the buliding material of the intallation.the temp within the installation can be assumed to be 25c.determine the volt drop ?
Damm Andy I think you need a new nick "Speedy"

I was assuming 2.5mm (since you don't quote)

18*13*15 /1000 = 3.52v

did you get the 17mv from the regs if not where ?are is it you just clever
BS7671 pages 274-317 cover cable VD (did I get this before Special Applaud Smiley)

where did you get the 18 from? have the VD changed between 16th and 17th?
Sorry Andy should have said PVC T+e, I'll look up pyro, but likely your correct

where did you get the 18 from? has the VD changed between 16th and 17th? its too cold to go get the red book out to compare it to the brown book i have infront of me
Yup Pyro is 17

I guess buried is a red herring too!!

the question i put on was of a collage paper.it does not say what cable to use.

collage lecturers. why dont they just make it easy then try`ing to confuse. a--- holes

the question i put on was of a collage paper.it does not say what cable to use.collage lecturers. why dont they just make it easy then try`ing to confuse. a--- holes
if they dont put what cable to use, or what size cable it is, you cannot answer the question.