Weapons of war...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
During my past 2 and a half years attending college I have been amassing a collection of equipment. Treating myself monthly to smaller items like vde screwdrivers, knipex pliers, side cutters, strippers. My xmas & birthday presents have consisted of cordless drills and tool boxes. My xmas present this year is a Megger 1552 which I have pestered to get early so I can use it at college.

I believe I have the basics required to set myself up I just wondered if you guys could give me an idea of what you carry on your vans to see if there is any other big stuff to buy while I am still earning regular money.

Thanks in advance OOTD

a kettle and a radio mate

soooo mant tight gits out there that dont even offer you a brew!

Power tools I use chase cutter and vacuum cleaner, Sds drill and other battery combi drill, Angle drill. But all depends on what sort of work you are going to do.

Batty

Power tools I use chase cutter and vacuum cleaner, Sds drill and other battery combi drill, Angle drill. But all depends on what sort of work you are going to do.Batty
I,m hoping for mainly domestic stuff. Additional sockets, Outdoor lighting and sockets, rewires etc. I was thinking of getting a wall chaser. Are they worth it?

Again - this would be handy as an addition to KME's business page.

Maybe, when he gets time , he could add it, perhaps?

I,m hoping for mainly domestic stuff. Additional sockets, Outdoor lighting and sockets, rewires etc. I was thinking of getting a wall chaser. Are they worth it?
I have a Makita and a Metabo. If you need to do chases they certainly save a lot of time. I use a Henry vacuum to take away dust. If you have got to do a chase in a fletton wall you would certainly appreciate one then. They also help on how much making good you will need to do. Makes you wonder how you every managed without them after having one.

Batty

a kettle and a radio matesoooo mant tight gits out there that dont even offer you a brew!
So right

i always have a toilet roll in the van,,,,,,,was at a house once doing a job and was left with the keys no bog roll !!!!!!!

So righti always have a toilet roll in the van,,,,,,,was at a house once doing a job and was left with the keys no bog roll !!!!!!!
My boys carry this as well in their Vans.

Don

What about some sort of step ladder?

Or is that just soo obvious?

Also;

Taken from another thread;

Screwdriver selection will probably be a good place to start.

Choice of wire cutters / strippers / pliers.

Hacksaw (large and junior)

plasterboard saw.

Stanley knife.

Meter(s)

Cordless drill with large selection of bits (wod / metal / mason)

SDS drill with selection of bits and chisels.

4.5" angle grinder. Possibly 9" as well.

Jigsaw. Circular saw.

Handsaw.

Tape measure, chalk line, level. Possibly laser level.

Steps.

Hammer (std & lumpa) & chisel/bolster selection

Holesaw selection.

PLUS (dependant on area of work):

super-rods

heat gun.

trowels, buckets, float, sponge.

During my past 2 and a half years attending college I have been amassing a collection of equipment. Treating myself monthly to smaller items like vde screwdrivers, knipex pliers, side cutters, strippers. My xmas & birthday presents have consisted of cordless drills and tool boxes. My xmas present this year is a Megger 1552 which I have pestered to get early so I can use it at college. I believe I have the basics required to set myself up I just wondered if you guys could give me an idea of what you carry on your vans to see if there is any other big stuff to buy while I am still earning regular money.

Thanks in advance OOTD
Not sure if you have got the 1552 yet but I just got a 1553 off ebay on a buy now for

not to forget your copy of the daily sport for a good read at brewtime :)

You mention Circular saw for floorboards...

...How many have the Fein Multimaster (multi master)? Or it's cheaper version made by Bosch?

You mention Circular saw for floorboards......How many have the Fein Multimaster (multi master)? Or it's cheaper version made by Bosch?
I have the bosch one ,the blades are pricey so i only use it if nessesary.

Ryobi 18v circular great for floorboards (nice thin blade) use it all the time. ;)

How about a 7kg drill for making holes in thick walls with 1m dill bits, general chasing out, and cutting holes for bathroom fans - I have a cheap one wich gets used about once a month, but is invaluable when I need it.

I have the bosch one ,the blades are pricey so i only use it if nessesary.Ryobi 18v circular great for floorboards (nice thin blade) use it all the time. ;)
Totaly agree sirsparkabit I us an 18v dewalt just set the depth and go the makita 230v never gets to see the light of day now.

ive got the bosch multi tool fantastic bit of kit but like sir spark says the blades are quite expensive and dont last that long

Apparently, If you have an older version of the Fein Multi-Master, the Bosch bits will fit it (NOT the fein new model) and they are much cheaper.

Thanks for the input, good list of stuff from admin 2, I think the next on the list is the circular saw, hadn't thought about one of those for the floorboards. Then the wallchaser after that.

Wall chasers are good if the property is vacant, but if it is occupied, you will probably find that it is either a "SDS" or a "Hammer and Bolster" job.

:)