Weapons of war...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also suggest a good site/work light and rechargable torch, I am not the smallest of guys and alot of cu's are in the cupboard under the stairs, and as the saying goes "I make a better door then a window" and tend to block the working light in cupboards.

My boys also have baseball bats in their vans. I must confess I don't question their needs for such equipment, but they do tell me they are used on odd occasions.

The Godfather

Wall chasers are good if the property is vacant, but if it is occupied, you will probably find that it is either a "SDS" or a "Hammer and Bolster" job. :)
I would disagree with a good vacuum cleaner their is a lot less mess with a chaser than hammer and bolster but whichever way you do it their will be a bit of dust.

Batty

I have the 250 Q select & though it doesnt get much use it is an awesome piece of kit that has got me out of a tight spot on more than one occasion.

If you ever get one you will NEVER regret it.

They are expensive for the amount of times you will use it, but I advise you to get one anyway.

I have the 250 Q select & though it doesnt get much use it is an awesome piece of kit that has got me out of a tight spot on more than one occasion.If you ever get one you will NEVER regret it.

They are expensive for the amount of times you will use it, but I advise you to get one anyway.
or get the green Bosch for

True enough comment there Apache, at the time I had an awful lot of cash to spend on quality tools, so I got what I considered to be the best having worked with all of the tools that I bought at various employ.

don't forget armeg electrical box cutters pricey but worth it
If you are going for Armeg get the solid board cutter for chipboard floors good tool and I think their are cheaper versions now available.

Batty

True enough comment there Apache, at the time I had an awful lot of cash to spend on quality tools, so I got what I considered to be the best having worked with all of the tools that I bought at various employ.
an enviable position to be in!

I'm trying to justify to myself spending silly money on a bench grinder

What can I say? Dead relatives do come in handy sometimes. Lol.

I know what you mean mate, been looking at a new piece of kit I want, just cannot justify it at the mo.

Just had a look at the bosch and fein multifunction tools and they look pretty similar apart from the price. Are they man enough to cut through floorboards or would I still be better getting a circular saw?

Just had a look at the bosch and fein multifunction tools and they look pretty similar apart from the price. Are they man enough to cut through floorboards or would I still be better getting a circular saw?
I've not used either of these before and can't see where I would, I may get told otherwise but a circular saw can be set to the depth of the board you are cutting but it does not appear these upgraded angle grinder thingy's can, when your ripping into a floor you never no whats below.

Plus blades for circular saws can be bought cheaply and anywhere, they even do ones that can deal with hitting those pesky hidden nails without loosing your teeth X( X(

Another thing for your toolbox - sticky plasters!

Cut myself today, and nearly bled to death while the customer went off to find the elastoplast. :)

Another thing for your toolbox - sticky plasters!Cut myself today, and nearly bled to death while the customer went off to find the elastoplast. :)
Very good suggestion, been there done that and sprayed customer newly paint wall with blood whilst jumping around and shouting lots of profanities after nearly slicing a figure off :(

I thought it could have got a turner price but they were not convinced:^O

I've not used either of these before and can't see where I would, I may get told otherwise but a circular saw can be set to the depth of the board you are cutting but it does not appear these upgraded angle grinder thingy's can, when your ripping into a floor you never no whats below.Plus blades for circular saws can be bought cheaply and anywhere, they even do ones that can deal with hitting those pesky hidden nails without loosing your teeth X( X(
The beauty of a reciprocating saw is that it reciprocates! This means moves backwards and forwards rapidly but only by a tiny amount. You can cut floorboards like butter. you can also cut a square hole or 5mm off the bottom of a skirting board.

A circ saw can do a lot of things but the fein/bosch get you out of tight spots. Also fantastic detail sanders :)

The beauty of a reciprocating saw is that it reciprocates! This means moves backwards and forwards rapidly but only by a tiny amount. You can cut floorboards like butter. you can also cut a square hole or 5mm off the bottom of a skirting board. A circ saw can do a lot of things but the fein/bosch get you out of tight spots. Also fantastic detail sanders :)
Quite right patch,

Try getting a circular saw to cut through a floorboard tight to a skirting, :eek:

You can't,

but you can with the Fein or Bosch:) :)

(Apache) You can cut floorboards like butter - as does a circular saw without hitting stuff bellow.

(Apache) you can also cut a square hole - four holes and a jigsaw or plasterboard saw or hole saw and plasterboard saw

(Apache) 5mm off the bottom of a skirting board - we are fitting electrics not laminate

(Apache) Also fantastic detail sanders - we are sparks not French polishers

(Sirsparkabit) I have the bosch one, the blades are pricey so i only use it if necessary.

Ryobi 18v circular great for floorboards (nice thin blade) use it all the time. - by your own post the circular is more use.

(Sirsparkabit) Try getting a circular saw to cut through a floorboard tight to a skirting - Boards perpendicular to skirting just use a sharp chisel to split the last couple of inches of tongue off, boards parallel to skirting not a problem.

I can see the use of this tool but for the amount of times it would come out of the van I think you need the circular before this.

don't forget armeg electrical box cutters pricey but worth it
ive got one fantastic on breeze bloc......if only it was that good on brick lol