Weird earth fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what about scrap dealers?in all seriousness tho, I really dont think I ever got one,
If you want one i can PM you one?

Its been going since late april time, so you might have had one off Admin and have lost/forgot it?

ok, if you can send it to my e.mail as well, is that poss,? then Agnes will write it down for me. that way I got no excuses. but now I'll have to think of some tips and tricks without killing WIZ along the way!!!

ok, if you can send it to my e.mail as well, is that poss,? then Agnes will write it down for me. that way I got no excuses. but now I'll have to think of some tips and tricks without killing WIZ along the way!!!
PM and email will be with you in 2 minutes.

Thanks SL...Borrowed neutral did come to mind, but I think not...

(Switching off other RCD, isolating remaining light circuits from RCD2, still causes a fault)

The 100 ohms is only in place when the LIGHT switch is on, (switch) LIVE to CPC..............not L to N..

AND I can have all other lights on up/down without any issues..

ALL other loads were removed during fault finding exercise..

Applaud Smiley
Oh bum!!

the plot thickens as they say!!! :(

What about the dodgy light taking its neutral from a socket circuit, rather than another light circuit??? ?:|

reading a strange value though something plugged in???? ?:|

BORROWED NEUTRAL...Give you more details later..

:_| :_|
Well, having never experineced one of these before, one doesn't really know where to start...

Very frustrating that my first 17th CU, and I get one.. :_|

Anyway, having been given good advice here.. :p I preceeded to find the problem today..............

Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees when things go wrong...

Anyway:

Landing ceiling rose (heart of the problem)

Took the bull by the horns and got Landlord to pull carpet and flooring up, immediately above (Loft conversion:^ O)

And there it was, inaccessable JB...

Supplying Neutral & CPC (plus loop lives to rose).......

(And I could see switch wire from downstairs lighting circuit aswell)

Sods law my first 17th, should get this....

Now the easy bit getting the Neutral upstairs... :eek:

Well done exto - and congratulations on finding your first "Borrowed Neutral".

As a prize - would you like a FULL Twix? :|

:D

Well done exto - and congratulations on finding your first "Borrowed Neutral".As a prize - would you like a FULL Twix? :|

:D
As long as it's one of those Special Editions ones...

(I really enjoyed them)

:^O

Well, having never experineced one of these before, one doesn't really know where to start...Very frustrating that my first 17th CU, and I get one.. :_|

Anyway, having been given good advice here.. :p I preceeded to find the problem today..............

Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees when things go wrong...

Anyway:

Landing ceiling rose (heart of the problem)

Took the bull by the horns and got Landlord to pull carpet and flooring up, immediately above (Loft conversion:^ O)

And there it was, inaccessable JB...

Supplying Neutral & CPC (plus loop lives to rose).......

(And I could see switch wire from downstairs lighting circuit aswell)

Sods law my first 17th, should get this....

Now the easy bit getting the Neutral up stairs... :eek:

Glad you found the culprit bud!Applaud Smiley;)

At least you identified a bit of clear evidence to justify to the landlord a bit more remedial work needed to make it all safe and compliant!

Well done there Sherlock! :) :x