What cert would you issue?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Afternoon all.

I have a small job booked in for the end of next week

Client is knocking a wall down in his kitchen. The DB is currently installed in the corner of this wall. Trunking down the wall into a 17th ed board (place was rewired 2 years ago).

So basically the DB has to be turned 90 degrees and mounted on the other wall. Now to do this neat all cables will need to be removed and reconnected into the DB.

What cert would you issue? Would a full EIC be required even though I am not changing any of the circuit characteristics and not adding any new circuits?

Cheers.

GS

Do an EIC and BC Compliance cert mate, covered your backside completely then.AndyGuinness
Thats true. Wouldn't take too long as everything is new. Client is on a tight budget.

Cheers.

GS

Technically; other than doing basic safety checks; there is no need to issue anything, IMO - unless the CU is in a special location? (after works - not before).

You aren`t changing anything - unless the client specifically requires a cert. of some description; in which case I suppose you could argue that, as its not the final circuits being altered, a MWC would cover the changes(?) to the "distribution circuit" from the HED to the CU.

Hobson`s choice, mate AFAIAC. I personally wouldn`t use a MWC - it`d be either EIC or nowt.

KME

I agree with all posts, I could argue that as no direct replacement, or change (other than moving) has taken place then, a EIC would not be required. However, I think I would issue one, simply because the MWC does not give enough detail, and get out clauses, that a full EIC would. As all electrical work should carry a certificate of some kind, I would have to agree and give an EIC.

Firstly

forget removing the cables for a nice neat job,,,,,,,,,,do you need to remove the cables ?

if not then no cert would be my way to go

what i would do...... ;)

once you have moved the board do some basic testing IR LN/CPC

ZS,,,,,RCD

if these are ok and look to be similar to the results on the original paperwork then jobs a goodun !!!!!

customer on a tight budget ?????? as always with sparkies

he gets what he pays for

I have given you a like, not because I agree, but because we all know that in certain circumstances this is all we are forced to do. (well those who do domestics).

The reason I, and other posters have agreed to give an EIC is the litigation risk, however nice a client is whilst your doing the job, they would very rapidly drop you in the proverbial mire, to gain some financial reward. or redress.

never take lightly your duties, they will, and do, come back to haunt you.

what about a periodic inspection cert? just because it might be not needed for another 8 years or so it doesnt hurt to issue one early! as you are removing the cables it definatly wants inspecting again and testing. good luck

I agree with your reasoning

An EIC then would cover the work and make your insurance valid if they made a claim

but he could go down the pub and get his mate to do it cheap,,,if it went pear shaped would he go back to his mate,, doubt it

but he wont pay the going rate to get it done right

have we been here before ????? mmmmmm!!!

what about a periodic inspection cert? just because it might be not needed for another 8 years or so it doesnt hurt to issue one early! as you are removing the cables it definatly wants inspecting again and testing. good luck
The installation would not be

Is that have they? ;) Or have they? :innocent

I always give a cert, even when I do the smallest of jobs, my certificates have prevented legal action being taken against me, and supported my claims for an emergency disconnection. I did not always operate this way, but as soon as I found out that clients are not friends, I changed my relaxed approach. I have learned from my mistakes, if I can get one electrician from this forum to get into the habit of issuing certificates for every single job he does, I will have achieved a major landmark on what things I want to do before I die, and cross it off my list of the top 100 things to do before you die.

mmmmm?? food for thought ! but i'm thinking if the situation was where he had enough slack to just turn the db round then we would probably not be having this discussion, or for example picture the board on the wall in the kicthen. its a new job only 2years old! would they want lots of hidious extra cable sprouting about the place it has probably been done quite neat and confined with minimum movement i would imagine but of course i might be wrong.

I think there are reasonable grounds to argue either way. Personally I think as the physical CU is going to be disturbed and relocated I would want to verify all terminations are secure, earth continuity on all circuits, Ring continuity, Quick Insulation resistance of 'L+N' to 'E', Earth loops & Zs, Ze etc.. just for my own peace of mind. If doing this job I would allocate another 1 or 2 hours to cover some tests and writing a certificate. I would only worry I had missed something if I didn't do any testing.

Doc H.

Is that have they? ;) Or have they? :innocent I always give a cert, even when I do the smallest of jobs, my certificates have prevented legal action being taken against me, and supported my claims for an emergency disconnection. I did not always operate this way, but as soon as I found out that clients are not friends, I changed my relaxed approach. I have learned from my mistakes, if I can get one electrician from this forum to get into the habit of issuing certificates for every single job he does, I will have achieved a major landmark on what things I want to do before I die, and cross it off my list of the top 100 things to do before you die.
sorry manator,

I put a new CU in my house last year and syill havent given Aggie the cert,

or notified it,

mind you, it is still ongoing as each time she wants a room painted/papered she thinks I just draw a new socket where she wants it and it magically appears.!

bloody women.!!! headbang

I will issue and notify as soon as bathroom is finished though,

promise.

O)

sorry manator,I put a new CU in my house last year and syill havent given Aggie the cert,

or notified it,

mind you, it is still ongoing as each time she wants a room painted/papered she thinks I just draw a new socket where she wants it and it magically appears.!

bloody women.!!! headbang

I will issue and notify as soon as bathroom is finished though,

promise.

O)
and when the Bathroom is done.......................

The first room will need repainting.. and a few sockets moving again!!!

:C

Steps,You only need to notify once the work is complete you surely know that!...

]:)
I do

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:32 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:31 ----------

and when the Bathroom is done.......................The first room will need repainting.. and a few sockets moving again!!!

:C
you sure your not telling Aggie stuff?

Afternoon all. I have a small job booked in for the end of next week

Client is knocking a wall down in his kitchen. The DB is currently installed in the corner of this wall. Trunking down the wall into a 17th ed board (place was rewired 2 years ago).

So basically the DB has to be turned 90 degrees and mounted on the other wall. Now to do this neat all cables will need to be removed and reconnected into the DB.

What cert would you issue? Would a full EIC be required even though I am not changing any of the circuit characteristics and not adding any new circuits?

Cheers.

GS
Look at it this way...............

If it was your Mom's house and some "other" spark was doing the work...

Would you call him a Cowboy for doing Half-A-Job with no certs..

or would you say..

Well done Mom you chose a good guy there to do that job for you!?

:| ?:|

The ONLY work I do on a CU with NO certification is disconnecting a circuit!

(did one the other week.. Diss a shower circuit cuz mixer shower being connected to combi boiler! )

:Salute :C

Whenever discussing any CU work with customers I always verbally point out the need to allow costs for testing..

cuz some other "cheaper" quotes/estimates may not test their work!!!!!! :(

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:39 ----------

you sure your not telling Aggie stuff?
Well.............................

I did promise NOT to tell..

BUT!!!

She does text Me, KME or Deke each day..

(whoever is available)...

To check that what you tell her is correct!

She was only asking the other week...

"why does it take Sooooooooo long to convert a single socket to double"?

and

"How difficult is it really to put that other TV & telephone point on the back wall of the lounge!?"

But I think she was getting suspicious at the end of May when she was asking

"Why does Steptoe have to spend 4 hours on the computer EVERY night just to notify 2 jobs?"...

"Is he doing 'other' web surfing when he keeps telling me he's doing work?"

We do all try to keep covering for you m8.........

But

its getting more and more difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you would just HURRY UP

and finish painting the bl00dy house..

we'd ALL have a quieter life!!!!!!!!!!

Guinness ]:)

Latest posts