What Denotes An Over Sensitive Rcd?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spent best part of 10 hours today chasing a faulty ring main. Managed to get the ir readings up to 70 meg ohm. Not ideal but shouldn't trip a 30ma rcd right? As part of testing I tested rcd.

Ramp test = 22.5ma
Trip times 1x = 7ms, 5x = 5ms.

Is this enough to deem it trigger happy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ramp test about normal, most I find around 24 m A.  Trip times are very low, 28 m S @ x1 ,  18 mS @ x 5 is typical.

Are you testing with circuits connected? If so try disconnecting and test RCD to compare.

yep, Ive never had an RCD trip in that sort of time,

but, the ramp is pretty normal, I wouldnt be concerned about that whatsoever,

as tim says, have you disconnected the outgoing loads?

it should not trip at half current. so providing it doesnt trip at that, then it isnt 'over sensitive'

on ramp, they usually trip somewhere around 23-24mA

Spent best part of 10 hours today chasing a faulty ring main. Managed to get the ir readings up to 70 meg ohm. Not ideal but shouldn't trip a 30ma rcd right? As part of testing I tested rcd.

Ramp test = 22.5ma

Trip times 1x = 7ms, 5x = 5ms.

Is this enough to deem it trigger happy?

Was this 10 hours specifically testing in relation the RCD?

or were there other circuit faults you were looking at??

there comes a point where it may be more economical just to replace the RCD and do limited testing then see how it goes...

rather then spending hour after hour getting nowhere.. 

this is assuming of course that the customer is paying for your actual time on site?

It was a strange one spesh. The fault was random intermittent tripping on the rcd main switch. Old Wylex metal clad rewireable cu. So, no rcd replacement available, would need a new board. It stated with a 'global' IR test (L+N to CPC) which returned suspicious readings so tested each circuit and it turns out to be sockets (always is isn't it). So I start going round the circuit trying to hunt down the low reading, 3. something Meg Ohm. Finally trace it to a length of cable that goes from the kitchen to a shed (not actually a shed, more a breeze block extension with polycarb roof. The kitchen is single story with pitched roof. Spoke to the guy and he says cable runs in a stud wall up to roofspace and that the front 2 rows of tiles can slide back. So off the tiles come, I find the cable topside. A little lube and away we go. Managed to replace. Put everything back together, thought I had cracked it. Went to power up and 'click' rcd wont hold (it wasn't tripping when I got there).

So, I start all over again, this time readings 50MegOhm. Spent most of day where I thought I was getting close to fault, they it would just disappear. So put everything back together and trip again. Obviously this job comes with an amount of responsibility in that we can't really leave them with no power. So I keep digging. Also, circuit had open Neutrals. So, I find the neutral issue, I find a cross polarity socket and a few other bits.

One socket in particular was a ****** to 2nd fix as cable tight as hell. So had it in connector to continue checks, at one point everything was working. I took the blocks off, put socket on, trip!.grrrrrrrr

Take socket off..............trip!

It really was strange. Each leg measured >200. I had the ring split and each half would measure 115 and 155 respectively so I'm assuming it's partly down to degrading. Put the ring together and it's now 70 odd MegOhm. I work out how low an IR would need to be to trip 30ma rcd

230 / 0.03 = 7666 : 7.6Meg, so It should run.

I finally got it to hold. Told her to keep me updated and explained that if she found herself not able to get it hold then unplug sockets fuse and plug and plug an extension into cooker switch (yay for cooker switch with 13a sockets) to keep fridge and freezer running. Said we could try a new cu before going down the rewiring route...

See what happens I guess

It's most likely an appliance with intermittent leakage, those insulation test readings would not trip RCD.

Do you have an Earth Leakage Test Clamp Meter.

Check the imbalance between L&N, then once on the right problem circuit, check each appliance with a made up test lead, plug and socket with an earth loop poking out in the flex and clamp that, as shown on an NIC video I think, will then show leakage of each appliance.

Barx, anything over 2meg is fine, are you sure EVERYTHING was unplugged?

No tv amps or owt in the loft?
Over 1Meg is fine, used to be 0.5Meg many moons ago.

All appliances are new. Bought one at a time over last 12 months because they had been told it was probably a bad appliance. This issue has apparently been ongoing randomly for a few years. Now all appliances are changed (washer being the last 2 weeks ago) they know it now not that. Everything Deffo unplugged. Well as far as me and them are aware. He a good look round as you can imagine. TV booster is downstairs. Cheers for replies

Central heating pump? Immersion heater? Seen those and one dishwasher element cause 'random' trips' even when the breaker is open and the leakage is tripping the main RCD N-E

as far as we are aware, everything was unplugged / disconnected. Would a neon cause earth leakage, surely they would only affect reading L - N not (L+N) - CPC