What Is Notifiable Now ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I think you are right Andy;  I cannot get into Walled Garden

so detail is unavailable.

But....I do know someone who can.

Just getting back on topic, are bathroom companies exempt on issuing certs and notifying electrical work?

Place i have been working at recently had a new bathroom refurb, underfloor heating, carp downlight install and extractor bodged into airbrick vent. 

Lights and fan still on non rcd side of consumer unit or no rcbo either.

Customer rang me about whether she should have had a cert etc for this work!!!

Bathroom has walk in shower, extractor within zone 1 so that is the only part that makes it notifiable.  However, you just know they wouldnt have tested any of the electrics if they cant even be bothered to write out a cert for the install.

Evans;  Good question.  The older meaning of the

Walled Garden meant that it could keep vermin out

of cultivable plots for the production of vegetables.

It is now the name of the secure location on the C &G

website.

Canoe has provided an overview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks  for the heads up Tech .

Sometimes these phrases suddenly appear in common usage and you wonder what the hell it means or where did that come from .     One was "Ground Zero"   which cropped up with reference to the 9/11 twin towers   ,  I for one had never heard that expression before . 

One was "Ground Zero"   which cropped up with reference to the 9/11 twin towers   ,  I for one had never heard that expression before . 
Ground Zero was the point in Hiroshima which was directly below the point

at which Fat Man exploded in 1945.  Apparently, just as in Tunguska, all the

debris and wreckage was blown out in a "quasi radial" manner, which allowed

observers to discern a point from which the blast was construed to have emanated.

I hope this explanation is satisfactory.  The photographs, which I first saw as a

lad, are truly "iconic".  Some structures remained standing but, most housing

being of wood, it was just vapourised and the outer regions were set on fire.

My reading on this matter has led me to some disturbing conclusions.  One,

that atomic bomb production was by this time highly mechanised at Oak Ridge

and Los Alamos.

This was truly a notifiable event, if not notable

Thank you for that Techie, most illuminating.    As you say, it certainly was a notable event .   

There was a man in the news recently regarded as the most unlucky bloke ever ,  he survived the Hiroshima bomb and fled to ..............Nagasaki !!

Britain's most decorated bomber pilot ,Group Captain Leornard Cheshire VC  was sent as an observer on the USAF atomic bomb drop . He was impressed with the presurised cabin and heating on board the US craft compared with the Lancs & Mosquitos he  flew .  

He had flown more bombing missions over Germany than anyone else but the awesome destruction he witnessed  " Like a sun exploding "  altered his way of life from then on .  They had no idea what to expect from this device. 

He left the forces , changed from agnostic to embracing the RC faith , began looking after suffering ex sevicemen , with cancer etc,  founded the  Cheshire Homes  .        His wife , I believe was Sue Rider as in the charity shops.

Ah  yes  thanks for that  , a good write up .  Cheshire was one of our heroes as lads along with Douglas Bader .

I always remembered a quote about Cheshire when being interviewed by the press during WW2  .    Because he'd done so many missions they commented on his bravery .   He said he wasn't brave at all because he did not suffer any nerves or panic at all , just got on with it ..........  " the brave men are the many who do suffer before a mission   ..who are throwing up all night ... losing control of their bowels...shaking with fear ...then pull on their flying suits and climb aboard with the rest of us "

It is worth mentioning here, after Evans' contribution, that the lanc.

bomber was built with armour plating for the seat of the pilot and co-

pilot.

This was assiduously removed by the high command so that the bomb

payload could be raised.

I bet the Americans never did that.

Edit  :-    Just saying ....how far "0ff topic"  can these threads go ?      From me losing track of what is or is not notifiable  to  Bomber Comand during WW2 !! 

How did that happen ?  :C

The only things that are notifiable are.........

The reasons why you haven't done the jobs that the wife/girlfriend/partner asked you to do but you didn't complete in the alloted timescale!!!

e.g. I didn't cut the grass because it has been raining all week is both Notifiable AND acceptable!

BUT

I haven't wallpapered the spare room because there was something good on telly or I had to meet my mates down the pub!!

are Notifiable BUT not acceptable!!!!!

Well.............seeing as how far off topic this has got with the WW2 references:

Thought you might be interested in this: Before the Dambusters raids they tested the prototype bouncing bombs off of Reculver on the Kent coast. Flying in from the sea there's a church one side and Roman ruins the other that equated to the dams towers. The crews practiced their low flying and experiments were done with scale bombs as well as full size ones to gauge the correct rotational speed. The area inland was off limits etc and all very hush hush. A few accidents with the planes flying too low/slow and the bomb would bounce back up and hit the plane etc. The thing was that the prototype bombs were left where they lay. As time passed the shifting of the sands meant that the bombs became a hazard to fishing boats etc. A historical society contacted the MOD and an operation undertaken to recover the prototypes. My brother pictured below was a Captain in the EOD at the time and part of the team that recovered them. He was on various TV and radio stations inc Sky at the time as the press officer for the operation and loved every minute of it. Barnes Wallis junior visited I believe. They were certain I remember that the bombs were 99% inert! My brother says that even after all those years in the sea they were still able to unscrew many of the bolts when they examined them! Hammerite sponsored the bombs restoration and they ended up in many different colours. Think they went to various museums around the country. Anyway, I recently found this photo in my Mum's stuff. Here's bruv with one of the small scale ones, the bigger ones are like 6' diameter. There was one of the big ones they couldn't shift from the mud. The tide was coming in and they had tried towing it with Tirfor jacks and bulldozers on the beach but nothing worked. The water was getting deeper and someone said "Erm....shall we try pushing it?" So they did! Seems the rising water had helped it float:

I have notified my brother that I've posted this up.

There is footage somewhere of the bombs bouncing back up and hitting the planes, I think it was a mosquito, shocking footage. 

My father was in Mosquitos in Bomber Command, on average 10 % did not come back on missions.

He did 87 missions, I always thought of it as having a gun with 10 chambers and one bullet.

Then you pull the trigger 87 times!

They were brave.