Power out in summerhouse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie_rs

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have had an electrician install a heated towel rail and since then the power to the summer house is out. He claims no responsibility.
It is just 2 sockets in the summerhouse. Both dead. All house is fine. I can’t find where the power goes into the house from the summerhouse.
Any advice on what to check or look for?
Thanks

I assume you have checked all your mcbs are on or fuses intact.

I assume you have checked all your mcbs are on or fuses intact.
Sorry I’m total idiot with electrics. Do you mean breakers? They are all on and I’ve tried a few different items in the summerhouse

Attachments

• IMG_4363.png
    IMG_4363.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Has the power to the summerhouse been taken from a fused spur unit connected to one of the power circuits in the house and the 13A fuse in the spur has blown

Has the power to the summerhouse been taken from a fused spur unit connected to one of the power circuits in the house and the 13A fuse in the spur has blown
The guy was on about a fused spur in the roof, not sure if it’s connected to to it or not. He reckons he hasn’t touched anything to do with the summerhouse. It’s funny the summer house is out since he’s been.
When I get home I’ll have a root around in that fuse box. Dumb question what will I be looking at and looking for? 🤣

That's a pretty old fuse box. There could be any number of faults with an installation that old that has clearly not been updated and probably not been checked for some time.

Sorry I’m total idiot with electrics. Do you mean breakers? They are all on and I’ve tried a few different items in the summerhouse
Does the grey coloured box to the right of the fuseboard have an RCD / RCBO under the flap that has tripped

That's a pretty old fuse box. There could be any number of faults with an installation that old that has clearly not been updated and probably not been checked for some time.
It is old yeah, never looked inside. Hopefully it will be obvious if anything’s blown

so I’ve checked all the fuses all good.
Everything works apart from the shed sockets.

I’ve found the cable from the shed.
It comes up from the the floor into a socket in the lobby that works then in into the ceiling into another socket in the roof that works then off in to yonda.
How can that make sense?

Grey cable that runs round.

Attachments

• IMG_4374.jpeg
    IMG_4374.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4375.jpeg
    IMG_4375.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4376.jpeg
    IMG_4376.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4378.jpeg
    IMG_4378.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
more like hope he didn't disconnect the summerhouse wiring from the fused spur he found and wanted to use for the towel rad, that is also connected to those old consumer units
Just found this, exactly what I think he’s done. This runs abit further along. He put the spur on that cable then down in to the bathroom

Attachments

• IMG_4379.jpeg
    IMG_4379.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Not seen any certificate. He works for a company now so I would hope he’s certified but had to stop working for himself as he had trouble with customers ( I could go on about how he’s a muppet like drilling aload of holes in my freshly decorated ceiling and leaving them etc etc but that’s going off topic lol)
Anyway I rang him and he’s coming back. He’s very confused. So am I. He did say it’s weird that the sockets along the run to shed are working.
Testing shed by plugging things in that should work. There are 2 sets of double sockets and both are dead. I don’t actually have a tester but assume they arnt live.

Did he give you a certificate?

Not seen any certificate. He works for a company now so I would hope he’s certified but had to stop working for himself as he had trouble with customers

I think the point Murdoch was asking relates to the fact that BS7671 wiring regulations require an electrical certificate to be issued to the person ordering the work, for all alterations and/or additions, to confirm that the work is electrically safe and complies with the current edition of BS7671.

Basically adding a new circuit would be a full multi-page "Electrical-Installation-Certificate"..
An alteration to an existing circuit would be a single page "Minor-Works-Certificate"

Any person working for financial gain should be qualified competent do both do the work and issue appropriate documentation.
"Documentation" / "Certificates" can be electronic or hard-copy..
And may be self designed / produced by the contractor, providing they include all of the essential details given in the example model forms in BS7671.

In a nutshell there are a few essential test readings, dead & live, that need to be done on the amended circuit to confirm that it will disconnect the supply fast enough in the event of a fault to prevent injury or damage to people, property or livestock!!

Unless your guy was just doing a like-for-like maintenance replacement, he should have issued you with a certificate!

There are 2 sets of double sockets and both are dead. I don’t actually have a tester but assume they arnt live.

You need to be careful with assuming what is or isn't live..
and remember that is a supply with a broken neutral will still have live power to it..
But a thing that should work.. e.g. table lamp will appear dead..
as the circuit is not complete back via the neutral..

A very basic simple tester to identify if a voltage is present can be purchased for less than £10.
e.g.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ms6860d-16a-socket-tester-230v-ac/91596
or
https://www.toolstation.com/socket-tester/p82826
One of these could be a handy quick DIY tester for you to have available.?

I think the point Murdoch was asking relates to the fact that BS7671 wiring regulations require an electrical certificate to be issued to the person ordering the work, for all alterations and/or additions, to confirm that the work is electrically safe and complies with the current edition of BS7671.

Basically adding a new circuit would be a full multi-page "Electrical-Installation-Certificate"..
An alteration to an existing circuit would be a single page "Minor-Works-Certificate"

Any person working for financial gain should be qualified competent do both do the work and issue appropriate documentation.
"Documentation" / "Certificates" can be electronic or hard-copy..
And may be self designed / produced by the contractor, providing they include all of the essential details given in the example model forms in BS7671.

In a nutshell there are a few essential test readings, dead & live, that need to be done on the amended circuit to confirm that it will disconnect the supply fast enough in the event of a fault to prevent injury or damage to people, property or livestock!!

Unless your guy was just doing a like-for-like maintenance replacement, he should have issued you with a certificate!
Thanks for the info there. Ill pass that on to the gf she sorted him out. I didn’t like him but she wanted him I think she felt sorry for him