What isolator is this?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemer

Reaction score
I have an install to do in a house with a steel box where the main cut out is. I don't know what type it is...I will try to describe it....There is a steel box with an isolator lever, on a TN-S system. the box has the title 'Siemens' , '30 Amp', and '1857' moulded onto it. would 1857 be the BS number?

Not able to open the box due to it being sealed, and I'm guessing that there would be something larger than a 30 Amp cut out inside???

What do I put on the cert? Your help appreciated.

S7300607.jpg

Beemer I have never seen one like that and I have seen a lot of old ones. I would think if that has 30 amp on it it probably is 30 amp. I would deffinatly get dno to check it out I bet that is full of asbestos. Could do with new board to put it on. Looks a bit damp what sort of place is it.

Batty

Dunno what the number is..

but that looks very similar to an old cut out I had to get replaced a few years back..

There were Two big ceramic wired fuse holders inside..

one in each leg Live AND Neutral!!!!! :(

and some asbestos to boot!!! :_| :|

As said best check with DNO if they still consider it SAFE!!! :| :(

Last edited by a moderator:
most older isolators are 5419, you could always put unknown?maybe 1857 is the year of manufacture?!
:D More likely the year that the company who made it were founded, if I recall my history Edison did not have his incandescent lamp until something like 1880

Dunno what the number is..but that looks very similar to an old cut out I had to get replaced a few years back..

There were Two big ceramic wired fuse holders inside..

one in each leg Live AND Neutral!!!!! :(

and some asbestos to boot!!! :_| :|

As said best check with DNO if they still consider it SAFE!!! :| :(
I had one of those types, fused L & N, banned in 1955, needs to be changed as the N could go and leave the L looking for a path back to the substation, if you use "HSE Duty of care... blah blah.." the DNO will have to bring it up to regs FOC, they have no choice

I had one of those types, fused L & N, banned in 1955, needs to be changed as the N could go and leave the L looking for a path back to the substation, if you use "HSE Duty of care... blah blah.." the DNO will have to bring it up to regs FOC, they have no choice
There is a lot of older style cut-outs still in use that had L & N fuses, but the N fuse has been replaced with a solid link.

This is the second type i have come across in the same number of weeks..

A bit like buses.....non...then two at once? :|

The 1st house cut out (as pictured) has the box in a cellar of a semi detached which is currently empty, awaiting students, so we (who have been working on it) have not seen the owner yet.

If you were able to zoom into the picture you would see some tape on the tail warning not to touch due to shock possibilities!!!!! However, I 'tested' it and not found the tail to be a problem (still left the tape on though).