WHAT STOCK TO CARRY IN THE VAN?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markpryor

Reaction score
Hi All

I am not far off from qualifying as an electrician (with New Career Skills Ltd if anyone is interested) and will seek domestic work as a self employed individual. I need to start thinking about a vehicle and what essential stock I should always be carrying.

Does anyone have a stock list of goods that they carry on board and are willing to share with me and others in a similar position?

Also any recommendations for a van to get?

Finally, I will need to pack the stock into the van, so do you have a photo of your van's layout that you are willing to share?

Many thanks

As little as possible, but enough to get by to be honest.

As to what you need, that will depend on the type of work that you're doing

But for domestic I carry a few switches, sockets, various MCBs and fuses

Also any recommendations for a van to get?
143.jpg

I have just purchased a vauxhall vivaro here are a few pics of the racks I put in.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mark, welcome to the Forum .

Don't see how any of us can choose a van for you to be honest. No idea what you can you afford .

I can only say that if you are doing house bashing you only need a small car derived van in my opinion .Get it sign written.

If you buy a Transit type, trust me you will fill it up with stock you'll never use on domestic work.

Keep stock to a minimum too. Its dead money. Other than to buy your accessories in box quantitys, cheaper that way . Don't go investing in stock ,thats the wholesalers job, just buy for the job you have won.

I'm sure you must already have an idea of how you intend to move on.

Thanks Nozspark for such a quick sensible reply and others. Yes sods law states it won't be on board when you need it!

Dell Boys Van, maybe if electric powered and kitted out with P.V's!

I have just purchased a vauxhall vivaro here are a few pics of the racks I put in.
OMG Badfish, trying to put us all to shame . Never seen such a neat van in my life .

There you go Markpryor , the target has been set. There is a pic of mine I think on here , but I wouldn't bother after seeing the Badfish mobile.

My advice would be to buy a cheap berlingo/partner and have around 5 each of sockets (dso/sso) switches 1g/2g etc dimmers, pendants,batterns, fcu's, shower/ CCU isolators, 1 reel of each sized t&e, pattresses and backboxes, sleeving, meter tails, mcbs, fusewire and cartridges, transformers for elv lighting (60/150va), lampholders, junction boxes, making good equipment, trunking, conduit and accessories, selection of lamps, and usual consumables: screws, fixings etc. This list is not exhaustive just IMHO a good starting point.

I do eat a lot of chillies.
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Badfish that's the tidy sort of layout I am after. Thanks also Evans electric, yes will try to keep it small. So true about advertising. Must think of what to put on the sides that can easily be seen???

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:16 ----------

Thanks also lineman, Ive made a note of those. Cheers

Thinking of the rising cost of fuel I started to dump stuff from my van instead of driving around with it for weeks on end.

Drums of 6mm and 10 mm cable , ridiculas. Pyro tools, not made an end off for about 20 years now.

Crimping tool up to 120mm , take it when its needed.

Used to have ladder and steps on the top , now its just the steps.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:22 ----------

So true about advertising. Must think of what to put on the sides that can easily be seen???
Well , you don't put Plasterer .

Last edited by a moderator: