Whats your opinion on this ......

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like Flexishield , I have a sample of it in front of me, similar looking to FP200 but FP doesn't comply I,m told.

Assuming you are house bashing why are you refering to a TP Board ?

How do you propose to terminate that cable at a ceiling rose ?

As for switch boxes , a stuffing gland can be used , which means fitting 25mm deep boxes also the cable is round and you may not get cover from the plaster.

Its use in partitioning might be a good idea.

Deke

Its not house bashing, its shop bashing hence the TP board. I dont think I can get down to 2 inch below surface and I'm looking at 5 circuits so a reel of this would be cheaper than 5 rcbos.

I shall search 8439 now thanks

i have never seen a 10 foot wall.. ??? would this affect the de rating of the cable to be used if buried this deep . ???

Its BS8436

Under regulation 522.6.6 it is one of the cables named that can be used in partitions or buried in walls at a depth less than 50mm etc etc etc.

Didn't think the regs defined that it differentiated between commercial and domestic. Only that it was to be for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use.

Socket outlets in a commercial installation would be used by ordinary persons in my opinion.

Didn't think the regs defined that it differentiated between commercial and domestic. Only that it was to be for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use.Socket outlets in a commercial installation would be used by ordinary persons in my opinion.
In any commercial or industrial location there will always be a responsible person who is responsible for health and safety.

Under the regulations all new employees have to be instructed as to their duties, this is normally carried out by doing an induction.

Because of this employee training and supervision socket outlets can be fitted without RCD protection providing all other regulations are followed.

BS8436 cable would meet the regulations for this type of installation.

Are they not saying that in commercial premises the walls would be drilled by professional tradesmen who presumably are trained to detect hidden cables in walls , whereas the general public , at home are totally brainless and drill through them on a daily basis.

Are they not saying that in commercial premises the walls would be drilled by professional tradesmen who presumably are trained to detect hidden cables in walls , whereas the general public , at home are totally brainless and drill through them on a daily basis.
I would agree in many commercial premises but smaller independant shops are probably just as likely to be attacked by their owneras a domestic property. Hence the original question over how to get around the problem.

If i was putting my name to the job it'd be on a RCD. That cable if ok would be a good choice for switch drops.

I would agree in many commercial premises but smaller independant shops are probably just as likely to be attacked by their owneras a domestic property. Hence the original question over how to get around the problem.
This is a very good point.

As the electrician responsible for the installation it is up to you to do a risk assesment on the use and abuse of the electrical installation.

If you think that the persons who should be responsible for the training of people who may have cause to use the socket outlets, do not know what they are doing then always cover your backside and RCD the bloody thing.

I have been asked to sort out some pretty basic electrical "mistakes" and will need to seperate a socket outlet circuit that supplies a science lab with RCD protection to 10mA.

Kiddies and electrics, plus explosive subtances and electricians who know jack s@@t just spells disaster.

May I throw this into the ring for discussion, last year , under the 16 th edition none of us would be worrying about RCDs in commercial premises unless they were covering outdoors or a dodgey area ,say. Certainly wouldn't be fitting one for a room full of IT equipment. Now, although not a requirement, we are fitting them everywhere.

I see the Hornet's point above with science lab and agree fully but I have plenty of customers who would not thank me for inflicting RCDs on their computer reliant offices.

I see the Hornet's point above with science lab and agree fully but I have plenty of customers who would not thank me for inflicting RCDs on their computer reliant offices.
Are you thinking along the lines of cumulative IT equipment and earth leakage tripping RCD?

If the computers are so important they should have a UPS anyway!

Playing devils advocate for a minute - we'd all agree that RCD's make the installation safer? Even with a commercial office any idiot may decide to whack a picture hook in and give himself a belt? So if things are safer then why not? (as long as lights not taken out when sockets trip, unless EM lights - fending off a counter argument! ;) )

I think people don't like change - until they get used to it. I'm sure someone was against inside toilets being unhygienic and saying they'd never catch on..............

:D

May I throw this into the ring for discussion, last year , under the 16 th edition none of us would be worrying about RCDs in commercial premises unless they were covering outdoors or a dodgey area ,say. Certainly wouldn't be fitting one for a room full of IT equipment. Now, although not a requirement, we are fitting them everywhere.I see the Hornet's point above with science lab and agree fully but I have plenty of customers who would not thank me for inflicting RCDs on their computer reliant offices.
I personaly would not like to RCD an office full of computers.

I would strongly urge them to have ups as well for back up.

The best way is to install to the regulations that negate the requirement for additional protection from a RCD.

Toilets inside !! Who has those then ? You mean yours isn't out in the yard shared by a dozen other families and prevented from freezing by a parafin lantern. You'll be saying next that you have that soft toilet paper that labrador puppies use instead of squares of the Daily Mirror hanging from a hook.

I personaly would not like to RCD an office full of computers.I would strongly urge them to have ups as well for back up.

The best way is to install to the regulations that negate the requirement for additional protection from a RCD.
Is the Hornet saying that there is a requirement to protect flush wiring in commercial premises with an RCD then ? Thats not how I interperate that section . ?:| ? :|