when is it going to be law

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavindrummond

Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread on the subject being when will it become illegal for any non qualified to the correct standard or someone who is not competent to carry out any electrical work????? And what do we have to do to make this happen? Maybe we should construct a massive British only electricians board to campaign this and go on strike until this has been passed for the safety of others. What's your thoughts?

Gavin, it has been suggested many times to have a proper licencing system as used in various other countries, unfortunately this would mean the scam members losing out so its very unlikely to happen.

I think something needs to be done to put a stop to this once and for all it will improve safety, accidents, deaths and improve consistency across the board and make our wages a true reflection on this.

as long as companies like B&Q wish to sell electrical goods to the general public this will never happen, they have too much influence on the british government

its got nothing to do with what Joe public can or cant buy,

its about making it a criminal offence to install electrical equipment without being licenced.

you can buy a car without having a licence, but most people wont drive it as its against the law,

I still stand by any man should be allowed to electrocute them self in their own home if they so chose. To me the problem comes when people take money for the work.

(from a vet with a MFT!)

my doctor reckons its some sort of foreign tropical disease that should be treated with copious amounts of alcohol,

who am I to argue with a professional medical man ?

he has letters and everything after his name.

:C

I doubt there will ever be a law to stop DIY electrics, at least not in my lifetime.

Remember, although you have to be Gas Safe registered to do gas work for others, it is STILL perfectly legal to do DIY gas work for yourself as long as you are competent.

So any legislation that may come along would only serve to stop cowboy electricians charging people for shoddy work. It would not stop DIY bob from doing his own work.

We have a very relaxed culture in the UK which is one of the things that makes it a great place to live.

In stark contrast, relatives of ours in Australia had to both attend a college course and obtain a certificate to allow them to self build their own house.

I wanted to start this thread on the subject being when will it become illegal for any non qualified to the correct standard or someone who is not competent to carry out any electrical work????? And what do we have to do to make this happen? Maybe we should construct a massive British only electricians board to campaign this and go on strike until this has been passed for the safety of others. What's your thoughts?
Extremely unlikely or never. This has been discussed numerous times in the past. There are dangers with electricity, but they do not blow up whole rows of houses when done wrong.

Doc H.

It will never happen.

I do feel sorry for people who buy houses when a previous owner had completely ballsed up the installation and they had no idea of the sort of amounts they will have to shell out to sort it, some will blame the buyer, I blame the person who did it.

It's about as likely to happen as Steptoe NOT posting on a thread about power to sheds!

We already have the EAWR .... ]:)

It will never happen. I do feel sorry for people who buy houses when a previous owner had completely ballsed up the installation and they had no idea of the sort of amounts they will have to shell out to sort it, some will blame the buyer, I blame the person who did it.
Well I think the blame must also be partly shared by the estate agent and the buyer. Estate agent for ignoring such trivial things as wiring. As long as it looks good it's okay. And the buyer for not actually asking the right questions, like insisting on an proper PIR before making the largest purchase of their life.

Actually I think surveyors are also to blame, because we all know they know jack about electrics. Why can't surveyors be honest and admit they know nothing about electrics and either employ an electrician to do a PIR as part of the survey, or advise the client to do that?

My previous house, an ex council semi was sold to me as having been "rewired" Well it was rewired as a council job and it still ranks as one of the most shoddy jobs I have ever seen. It was only a 2 bed semi, but it had ONE ring final. That was a joke. There was a double socket in the kitchen and a double socket in the living room on the ring. then a double socket in one bedroom as a spur, and a single socket in the other bedroom as a spur. That was it. One lighting circuit, one cooker circuit, and one immersion heater circuit.

Thankfully I had seen the electrics when I viewed the house, and I knew I was buying the house as a project. It had damp, woodworm, grotty kitchen and grotty bathroom. but it was the right location and was all I could afford so I bought it with my eyes open and don't hold anyone to blame for the state it was in.

Caveat Emptor.

Spotted my neighbour yesterday (office worker) putting outside socket on his conservatory, I could not believe it when I spotted him putting a bit of orange flymo flex through the wall, or I should say I could believe it, I assume connecting to his indoor socket. DIY at it's best.

In total it took him 3 Hours, started by not having a big enough drill for the cable, so spent ages opening the hole up, then he had no hole saw for the back of the box, so drilled loads of holes with a small drill.

Had he knocked my door it would have been completed within the hour, certified and done correctly, but like the post above I now feel sorry for whoever buys the house when they move on, inside could be worse, why do they it !!!!!!!

Maybe he thinks I charge

Never happen in this country . We only go half way with stuff like this, as with Competent Person's Schemes . Thousands not registered, general public still virtually unaware of Part P etc.

Look at your average small builder ,what qualifications does he have, can he calculate the size for an RSJ to support the corner of your house, is he as conversant with the Building Regs as electricians are?

Or is he an eastern european taxi driver ,in the country on a euro passport and in business for at least 3 weeks.

We already have the EAWR .... ]:)
The main problem we have is the fact that some regulations are never enforced until after an event. It is true, there are enough regulations and statute laws that are in place to make sure that everything done electrically is accountable and can be used to make sure everyone who does this type of work is held accountable.

Lets take the issue of the home owner who has a right (in law) to carry out any electrical works within his or her own home,I would hazard a guess that 99.9% of all those works do not comply with the regulations as they stand. My reason? How many home owners have any test equipment to fully comply with BS7671?

Now lets take the self employed or even employed electrician, many questions are raised on this forum that surprises me, let me explain, BS7671 are the wiring regulations and a guide used to determine how it should be done, but I can think of many more regulations that have to be complied with that are statute laws, and often never thought about when doing any electrical works.

I really do feel for Sidewinder when he answers some posts, because he is trying all the time to explain that its not BS7671 that will get you into trouble, it is the ignorance of the statute laws that will come to bite you in the posterior.

Remember this when you price up your next job. Things are changing that will make all those who are involved in the design and installation of wiring systems take a second look at how they do things.

The Part P consultation process is still ongoing and unless you voice your own opinions and join the debate some very significant changes are due that will do the industry no good at all.

The other problem is BS7671 is a guide, that has to be one of the biggest jokes going, why the **** isnt it made law ???
The most damming blow that BS7671 ever had was in a court of law in Scotland, the judge decided that because BS7671 was a guide and not law a low life incapable builder virtually got off scot free(no pun) with killing a young girl.

I have my own personal views on this, but could never impose them unless we could for once stand shoulder to shoulder and face them united and say, we have had enough.

Latest posts