Which Broadband

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Ok have been with Virgin for a fair few years now & have been offered a package from Sky (used to be with them before internet days)........50% off for first 12 months.

So who is using their broadband & is it any good?

Not fussed about leaving Virgin, but the wifi has got worse around the house so thought I could be interested in a move if Virgin do not want to supply their new hub foc.

I would want to know how many share the line, as at peak times it will drag your speeds down.

When my son was in Leicester Virgin told him on his 100mbps service he could expect 50-70mbps, but in reality he only got 20mbps.

When he complained they admitted they had oversubscribed for his area, and allowed him to cancel his contract.

He then went with BE where he had a steady 18 but at a third of the cost.

They are all basically the same, the biggest difference will be what the lines and subscription rates are like in your area. There isn't a one size fits all best broadband provider.

Its best to ignore the cheap intro offers and look at the charges after the first year .    Sky bombard me to join  every month ,  their charges, after the intro offer,  are much the same as  my present provider BT .   Its fibre optic after the box on the corner of the road.             I have no complaints with them TBH .

There are only 2 basic domestic BB providers.

BT via ADSL/VDSL.

Virgin media, IF you are in one of their cabled areas.

If not you have a choice of BT, or BT via ADSL/VDSL.

All of the other so called providers use the BT infrastructure.

And having spoken to my insider at Vodafone............................................looks like they are soon to be in this market also.........might just wait a few months.

Virgin here and quite pleased with it. Virgin are one of the few (or the only in some areas) companies that can provide broadband without having to pay for a landline. I rarely ever use the landline, which I think is an outdated concept, so Virgin works out good and cheap for me.

Don't they build in a "maintenance" charge  Mihcis ?     (Can you actually say that name out loud ?   ;)  
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png
)

I use BT and its fantastic, and so is the router.

I have friends who have Sky broadband, and they do not rate it.

BT Infinity 2 package for the WIN,

And i'm pretty sure that in last couple of months they have increased the speed of the service. From a max 75meg line I'm getting about 60-65meg dl and 19-20megs ul

Latest posts