Which scheme is the better one?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S60TEM

Reaction score
Basically, which scheme do people think is the most recognised/ the most respected and the best to sign up to etc etc?

I've recently put myself through my 2330 lvl 2 & 3, my 17th edition and Part P but not my 2391 as yet.

I've been doing it all since last October and believe me, it's been very hard work as I've crammed 4 years into 1 !

I have in that time been working with my brother in law on a vast amount of differing jobs and lots of tests from Domestic, Industrial and commercial etc. He is 20 years time served, works for the local authority and also has his own business which he is NAPIT approved.

I'm currently writing up my NVQ 3 site diary too.

So, He reckons I should just go with NAPIT like himself but I just ponder the question about the others.

NAPIT have told me I don't need my 2391 as they have a 3 day course in nottingham that is free when you enrol with them and you are assessed there before you get assessed in the "field". They also give you 12 months to complete your NVQ.

NICEIC, I believe this is the most recognised schemes imo. BUT, it says that you have had to be registered as self employed with your business address for at least 6 months prior to joining them?? I am self employed as such but havn't registered my business name as yet and obviously my business premises will be my home address. Anyone shed a bit more light?

ELECSA, I don't know anything really about these so any info would be good.

Just to note, although I have only being doing this for a year I have picked it up VERY well and i'm very confident in all my installation work and all of my testing also.

It's just daunting to think that you could fork out

what sort of work do you intend doing?

and who do you want to give your money to?

for domestic they are all much of a much,

comm/ind a lot of companies state NIC AC ONLY,

as do some insurance companies.

Steptoe's answer hit's the spot. The rub is whether you see that the named scheme that you choose to join is pertaining to whether you are to get any work from being in that scheme, as opposed to another one.

If the idea is just to notify your work from a Part P point of view, then they are a much of a muchness.

I joined Elecsa because they were about the cheapest, require less beaurocracy led pieces of paper as a mandate for joining, and also because they are there for electricians primarily, for consumers secondarily. The Niceic is the reverse of this of course and others I have spoken to have jumped ship due to the off handiness that the NIC treats them with.

A couple of times i've had to phone elecsa tech help with a bonding type question, and someone has phoned back 20 or 30 mins later with an answer. Throughly recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
well we do plenty of domestic installs and tests but we really only do inspection and tests in commercial/industrial and not any installations as yet. I have heard the story's about the NIC being OTT and a bit up their own a r s e but wasn't too sure if it was true.

I think I may just go with NAPIT then as my brother in law has been with them a long time and has a good rapport with them etc so it'll be probably be in my best interests.

cheers

well we do plenty of domestic installs and tests but we really only do inspection and tests in commercial/industrial and not any installations as yet. I have heard the story's about the NIC being OTT and a bit up their own a r s e but wasn't too sure if it was true.I think I may just go with NAPIT then as my brother in law has been with them a long time and has a good rapport with them etc so it'll be probably be in my best interests.

cheers
do you mean PIRs.?

ensure the scheme you are in will cover you for this,

and also that you have the relevant insurance,

ie, professional indemnity as well as public liability.

do you mean PIRs.?ensure the scheme you are in will cover you for this,

and also that you have the relevant insurance,

ie, professional indemnity as well as public liability.
all scams should allow you to I&T others work.

infact, napits FAQ's specifically states you can I&T 3rd party work (but cannot notify it)

yes i mean PIR's sorry....the terminology deludes me tonight! LOL