which wholesalers?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletchflash

Reaction score
Hi all,

was just wondering what wholesaler is best for price, ive been using a small local wholesalers, which are okay. but im wanting to open an account elsewhere too. Theres an industrial park with a newey and eyre, electric center, edmundsons and then a CEF not so far away.

Used all of them before when working for other people but never really knew about price. as far as i know CEF's pricey?

If used regular, which ones are cheap or expensive?

Im not wanting to buy cheap crap, just would be good to know which ones do good price/discount on decent brands?

cheers!

I find that if you stick to 2 or three accounts you can get a good deal.

Many times the discount you get will be with the one you spend more money on, as they will want to keep your custom.

I find that 1 of my accounts can match and beat most for some items, and some items are cheaper at another.

You need to get a supplier who has the items in stock, on place near me is very cheap but never anything industrial in stock so I tend not to use them as much.

Its a buyers market so go and get a few quotes done and see who is more favourable.

I found CEF tell you one price charge you another, ac used to always get invoice wrong, neweys too dear unless you bought shedloads, fitted some Denmans kit and it didnt last they were same price as local w'saler for mk etc so I went back there. I have used electricfix in the past and now there is a counter open near us I'll start using them again.

Open as many accounts as poss, get best quotations from all and use which ever gives best price, You will find that they will try and match price to get your custom, make the most of your power as the one keeping them in buisness.

You will find in practice that whoever is nearest and has what you need is the one that you will use the most, unless you have plenty of time to plan jobs ahead of time.

Happy shopping

;)

The only wholesaler I have an account with is Electric Center. I use them for the big stuff mainly. Where I am out in the sticks, their big advantage is they have their own delivery van doing a round every day, so I can order something, and if it's in stock I will have it next day with no delivery charge.

Otherwise I get things mail order from TLC, Screwfix or CPC

It's a 50 mile round trip to actually visit a wholesaler if I need something in a rush, so I only do that if I really really have to. If my job is the opposite direction to the wholesaler, I can often be working 50 miles away from anywhere to buy even the basics, so I have to make sure I go to each job with everything I know I will need, and plenty of things I might need. In those situations a local well stocked hardware store will often come to the rescue for something unforeseen.

my local wholesaler doesnt stock crabtree accessories, so get those from elsewhere. usually SF. for just about everything else, its local wholesaler

It's a pain, some will be expensive on some items, whilst others will be cheaper on some items and visa versa. You can never find the happy medium. I tend to always buy wiring accessories from wholesaler A, whilst I will buy cable from wholesaler B and so on and so fourth.

You say there is an Electric Centre by you so I'd recommend them. Thing is to build up a bit of trust, pay your bill on time, then talk about better discounts. My account was with AC Electrical then Centre took them over ,I have a 60 day account with them and Denmans thats why I stick with them , Plus discounts are good and service is good.

Like most guys I never liked CEF .

CEF = Check Everything First :D

I don't use my local CEF, but will on occasion use 1 10 miles away (better service)

I usually use my local independent (they are good on price and excellent on service)

I don't use my local CEF, but will on occasion use 1 10 miles away (better service)
similar here - CEF in shields is useless. CEF in gateshead is better. only ever used in emergency though. think ive only used them once this year, and maybe 2 or 3 times in the last few years

Brilliant, thanks for all replies!

From using CEF in the past, without knowing the price, id already come to the conclusion i wont be using them. They would always try and fob me off with proteus gear. Though that was a completely different branch to one near me now (ive recently moved citys)

Think i'll open a couple of accounts then, maybe use electric centre mainly for a bit see how it goes

I've been with W.F. for a few years now, they seem to look after me ok, I do have an account with Medlocks as well, but I don't use them that often, especially since they sent me a solicitors letter when I paid my account 6 days late, they could have rung me, the amount was only

Most regulars will know my history with Denmans and may be as surprised as me when they offered to re open my account with them.

I nearly fell over laughing.