Why can a bird stand on a phase of primary wiring and not get electrocuted?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foolios

Reaction score
The bird touches that primary wire with both legs. Why doesn't that cause electricity to go up one leg and down the other? I've even seen two birds peck at each other, making contact and still not get zapped.

Thanks in advance.

The bird touches that primary wire with both legs. Why doesn't that cause electricity to go up one leg and down the other? I've even seen two birds peck at each other, making contact and still not get zapped.Thanks in advance.
there is almost no voltage difference between its feet, and either way, the resistance through the cable is a lot less than the bird so the amount of power flowing thru the bird is probably unmeasurable

The bird touches that primary wire with both legs. Why doesn't that cause electricity to go up one leg and down the other? I've even seen two birds peck at each other, making contact and still not get zapped.Thanks in advance.
Easier for the electricity to stay in the wire (path of least resistance)! Why go round the houses when there is a straight path from one point to the next?

Birds regularly get electrocuted when their wings hit both phase and neutral (well, here in the UK, swans do).

As the bird has no contact with Earth there is no where for the current to travel, 1 leg has the same potential as the second leg CJS

That's a good Video is that. And from Foo's country too. :)

I was discussing that video, 3 weeks ago in college. Tutor said that he hadn't seen it - and that It was on the forum (Could't remember where) But you have now added it on an is easy to find. :D

wow

And that guy is touching two wires, not just one like the birds do. How is this possible?

What is all that arcing all about? How come it's so controlled? Why doesn't that result in a full load entering that path?

Thanks for the share.

wowAnd that guy is touching two wires, not just one like the birds do. How is this possible?

both the lines next to each other are the same phase, no voltage between them

What is all that arcing all about? How come it's so controlled? Why doesn't that result in a full load entering that path?

the helicopter isnt touching something, like ground or another line, so there is no voltage difference, so no path for power to flow

Thanks for the share.
my red