Windows easy transfer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have had to buy a new PC (bought from DELL 'scratch & dent' - not a mark on it and significantly cheaper). Have been trying to copy old PC to new, but file transfer programme doen't like transferring Programme files such as Office. Does anyone know a simple cure for this???

Have had to buy a new PC (bought from DELL 'scratch & dent' - not a mark on it and significantly cheaper). Have been trying to copy old PC to new, but file transfer programme doen't like transferring Programme files such as Office. Does anyone know a simple cure for this???
You can't transfer programs such as Office etc, you have to re-install these programs , you can tranfer across files saved under these programs.

This program will show you the cd key used when office was installed.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Run it on your old computer and make a note of the key.

You should now be able to download a trial version of office and install it using the cd key from your old computer.

Hope that helps.

Let me know how you go.

you could run something like clonezilla if you wanted,

as long as your new HDD is at least as big as the old one it will make a mirror image of it.

there are a few other similar ones out there that will just clone certain bits of your drive etc if you want, maybe even clonezilla does it, not used it for ages.

if the licence for office is anything like the licence for windows you wouldn't be able to transfer the program anyway.

if the licence for office is anything like the licence for windows you wouldn't be able to transfer the program anyway.
???

My hard drive crashed on my laptop and fitted new and had no problems reinstalling them with the keys supplied.

have manged to find office disk in far corner of kitchen - not where it was suppossed to be:^O.

Is openoffice a comprehensive version or 'lightweight'. I got used to office pro. whilst working at desk job and really dopn't like lightweight versions (fussy moi??) But mostly I am annoyed at microsoft for their comprehensive pain in the butt attitude to this stuff headbang . Ican understand them wanting to protect their intelluctual property rights, but when it says 'is this your old PC' 'is this your new PC' you would think it would transfer everything you need not just the data files, even if it wiped the old PC whilst it was at it. Rant over, I have a PC whizz kid coming over tonight to sort things out.

Tnhanks for your help guys :Applaud

???My hard drive crashed on my laptop and fitted new and had no problems reinstalling them with the keys supplied.
you repaired a computer with an existing licence for that software so you did nothing wrong, what i am referring to is when "buying" microsoft software you actually only buying a licence to use it on one machine, if you replace that machine then as i understand the licence goes with it.

these cheap versions of windows that can be bought as OEM versions from online retailers should only be sold with majour component parts of a computer like a motherboard and processor to be legal as far as i understand it all.