Wiring A Ceiling Rose

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf72

Reaction score
I'm am just in the process of moving house and am replacing some ceiling roses. I have removed previous light fittings and thinking I knew what I was doing I took little notice of where the wires had come from!

I have wired it up as I thought was correct but the light doesn't work and the RCD tripped so suspect I have done something wrong.

From the ceiling are a black, a brown, a grey and an earth wire. This is the last light in the conservatory so think I am losing it a bit with it being the end of the circuit.

Can anybody let me know how I correctly wire this to the ceiling rose? I know I should've got a sparky in but there is a lesson for next time, however, I move out tomorrow and want to ensure all is working fine and thought it was a DIY task that I was equal to! Sadly mistaken!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Oh okay sorry didn't think of that! I have left for work now but will look at posting something this afternoon.

It is a single four core grey cable with a black, grey, brown and earth coming out of it, if that helps any?

Thanks

The cable you have is not the usual cable found at a ceiling rose and because of this it could prove difficult to identify by picture which colour represents what, but you have an rcd which is good and to my mind probably only 2or3 ways this will work, a cheap multimeter would be invaluable as would removing the switch cover to see what colour cable you have there.

When it was built, the wiring was put in for a fan light but we didn't fit one! I somehow wired it up correctly in the light fitting I took down but lord only knows how I did it!

When I wired it this time I put brown to brown, blue to black and grey into the loop. I knew that didn't look right when I did it........at least I was right on that front!

Thanks for the comments so far its really nice there are so many helpful people out there to help fools like me!

Show us a picture of how you wired the new rose?

What you probably have is neutral, permanent live, switched live and earth.

Which one is neutral depends upon the original spark, it could be grey, or it could be black.

But it's pretty likely the brown will be the permanent live.

So connect the light pendant between the grey and the black and try that.

the fact the RCD trips, suggests to me you have connected the EARTH to one of the light terminals?  Any other "wrong" connection would result in a light that never comes on, or a light that stays on and can't be turned off.

One more important point. What type of light fitting is on the pendant?

IF it happens to be an ES screw in fitting, then it is most important that you positively identify which is the N conductor. If you get them the wrong way round on an ES fitting it's positively dangerous.

Tell us what test equipment you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
You could look at the light switch and tell us the wiring in there,,,,,,,,

that would help

I will get some photos posted later but have now disconnected the rose.

ProDave your response is brill but I'm afraid my novice status has got me lost a little....apologies!

If I connect the brown from the ceiling to the live on the rose, which are you suggesting I connect to the neutral? The black or the grey? what fo i thrn do withthe spare wire? I definitely had the earth connected to the earth terminal......that's about the only bit I did get right!!!

With regard to the type of pendant, I'm afraid I don't know, I just picked up what I thought was right from B&Q. If I could turn back the clock I'd have just got an electrician in.....lesson learned!

I don't have any testing equipment I'm afraid!

Dave is suggesting the logical way,  Brown of 3 Core + Earth into the loop connection, Black of 3 Core + Earth in with Brown of ceiling rose and Grey of 3 Core + Earth in with blue of ceiling rose. Earth into earth terminal.

However this depends on the spark that installed it to start with.

Steve/Dave it worked a treat......... just the job! Thanks ever so much for your help and advice!