Static Caravan IET regulations.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicky

Reaction score
I am a newbie to this forum, if I am posting in the wrong place - sorry - please advise correct area.
My question
Last year I purchased a Static Caravan , located on a park. Affixed to the electricity distribution board / circuit breaker is the attached notice. can anyone tell me the legal position in having this tested, and what is involved. I should also point out that the van is rented out to holiday clients.
electricity safety.jpg

same as every other electrical installation. they should be tested every few years. in reality many don't bother until until something goes wrong

if its rented out then you'll also have a legal duty to ensure its safe, so it'll need testing next year

All that sticker shows is that the installation has been inspected and tested on that date and that it should be retested on the other,,,,, it does not indicate that the installation was found to be in a satisfactory or unsatisfactory condition, in and by its self,,,, you need to have the associated paperwork!

The risk that you have, especially as you have paying customer using the mobile home, is that without the paperwork you don’t know the condition of the installation, even if you have the paperwork and it said that the installation was satisfactory at the time of the inspection and test then that does not indicate that it is still satisfactory (much like a cars MOT)…. You may also find that your insurance company require a satisfactory EICR for them to cover you

Hi thanks for your advice. As the van is only 10 years old, visual and socket test all o.k., PAT test was O.K. I will try and combine the next review with the Gas Inspection.

How often a unit is tested us subject to opinion, but as you are planning to rent it, I'm guessing for holidays, I would suggest retesting yearly rather than 5 years. My reasoning would be holiday makers can be ' careless' on what they rent. Visual inspection for damage every time it's rented.

Everything seems to rely on personal opinion - not a legal requirement -as is the case with the Gas instalation ( Boiler and Cooker ) which is annual.

Everything seems to rely on personal opinion - not a legal requirement -as is the case with the Gas instalation ( Boiler and Cooker ) which is annual.
Yep, the electrical regs have a lot of 'recommendations' that allows for professional assessment of a situation. A landlord may be renting to students who are good at breaking things, or an old couple that look after the property, so would need different testing regimes. I would stick with the recommendations, but the main thing is not to do nothing!