Wiring an Induction Hob and twin ovens

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I read lots of posts on this forum but this is my first post, please be gentle !

I am trying to work out the best way to wire a new kitchen with regaurd to the ovens and hob.

Current setup is a 32MCB for kitchen sockets and a 32MCB for the existing oven and they have a gas hob.

New kitchen will have the usual double sockets and fused spurs for dishwasher etc but also there will be 2 single ovens and an induction hob.

Oven 1 3.68Kw = 16 amps

Oven 2 2.85Kw = 12.3 amps

Hob 10.8Kw = 47 amps !!

What da ya think is the best way to do it ??

Many thanks in advance.

James

Hi :Welcome:

It sound as if you going to need another Radial circuit for the Hob

Suggest using the existing cooker circuit for the two ovens, as long as they are both no more then 2 mtrs from the cooker switch they can come off the same one and you can get a duel outlet cooker connection unit that can be fitted at low level to split the feed to the 2 ovens.

The sockets keep on the existing 32 Amp Ring main circuit.

youve been watching for a long time! maybe a new record?!

best would be each on own circuit, but hob on 40A radial, and both ovens on 32A radial should do the job

if you cant get any new circuits and have to use what you have, then 32A radial for hob and 3.68KW oven, and fused spur for 2.85KW oven should be adequate (except christmas dinner). as kitchen is already on its own ring, should be an issue with overloading, but still not ideal

Thanks for quick replies,

sparkytim - sounds good but new ovens will be about 3 or 4 metres from the existing isolation switch ?? what do ya think

Andy - is that right ? you'd use a 40amp radial for something with 10.8kw rating, potentially pulling 47 amps - although I appreciate it probably never would be pulling that and diversity etc.

thanks guys

Each should be 2 mtr max from isolator.

Are the ovens to be next to each other? then I would re-site the isolator.

If they are more then 4 mtrs apart then you will have to provide an isolator for each, but both can come from the same circuit.

Your 10.8 Kw Hob would probably be ok on a 40 Amp radial, but if you are installing a new Radial then maybe a 10mm on 50 A MCB would be way to go.

Andy I was comparing the amount of posts each of us has done on this site !

Ok so back to electrics -

New 40amp radial from the board to the induction hob.

Now can I through crimp the 6mm upto the isolation switch to extend it closer to within 2 metres of ovens. Or I guess if I have to run in a new radial I may as well replace existing oven radial ??

you can crimp the cable, but depending which way you move it, the cable may stray out of safe zones. if DB is close, may be easier to install new radials rather than alter what you have

Hi Sparkytim,

just noticed your reply

ovens will be next to each other but in differant part of kitchen, so further away.

I think I have a few options but will most likely run in 2 new 6mm cables from board. one to replace existing oven so I can relocate the isolator switch and the other 6mm for the hob and run off 40a mcb.

Thanks for your help guys , much appreciated.

James

45 maybe more favourable unless you want a call out xmas day under warrenty

ROTFWL

It was one of those MEMERA boards with a couple of spare ways,

I'll have to look up what they do but I guess if they don't do a 45 then should I go upto a 50 or down to a 40 ?

Mrs just shouted 'T's ready' so back soon !

Just looked up MEMERA MCB's and typically they don't appear to sell a 45a, they only sell 40's or 50's !! Back to the split camp of over or under.

Hi guys

Didn't notice we'd skipped to page 2 !

16th edition board split with rcd on one side only

hmmm may fall foul of the <50mm rule

not used a 50a cooker switch i have to say!

they are available though! after a search

whats the cable length Vd could be significant

hi LOSTIT,

<50mm rule ???

also didn't really think about the isolator switch, which obviously would

have to be 50a and probably not available in the style they want !!

Pain in the arse,

so looking like 40a mcb with 6mm on own radial via a 40a / 45a isolation switch.

BATTY, so you'd put the hob on the non rcd side of the board ??