Wiring Control Panel Without Bell Box.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dnandhara

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum. I will be moving house soon and my wife wants to take the current bell box with us. ( stainless steel rapier bell box)

I have dummy bell box which I could replace it with. But how do I tell the control panel that there is no bell box connected.

Current wiring of bell box:

Control panel.

Str - Green

T- White

A. Black

D. Red

B. Blue

Bell box.

Str. Green

Tamp return. White

Hold- Black

Hold+. Red

Trg. Blue

If I remove the bell box the alarm will produce a fault with bell box. So do I need to short the tamp return in the control panel? Do I short to A or D?

Thanks for the reply.

On the fixtures and fittings form, I've indicated house has a fitted alarm but bell box not working.

I was going to follow the following procedure:

1 turn off power to control panel

2 remove cover off the control panel.

3 the alarm will go off. Disarm by entering code.

4 remove wiring for bell box. I think at this point the bell box should go off for 20 mins.

5 short T to A on control panel.

6 put cover back on control panel.

7 turn power back on to control panel.

8 remove bell box , but when I take of the cover off the bell box will it go off? Or should the internal battery be flat?

9 replace link inside bell box. I remember having to cut a link wire inside bell box when it was fitted.

10 fit dummy bell box.

Does this procedure sound right.

Thanks.....

I would leave the bell box, sounds a bit mean to me taking it when your are probably dealing with thousands and thousands of pounds for a house sale, but I don't know your circumstances of course.

Just tell your wife you have enough things to do sorting out with the move and don't be so tight :)

Good luck with and please post pics of your black eye :)

Rapier bell boxes (There are electronic sirens really) start at £100 and do look "posh" which is probably why the O.P's O.H wants to take it. Personally I would not bother.

Dnandhara

Don't bother turning the mains off before you open the panel, you may find out the hard way you have a low / flat standby battery..

From your list:

5: install a permanent link

8: It should, but depends on battery condition.

Don't worry about the link, just disconnect the battery (or wait 20 minutes to be sure)