Wiring log cabin.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am pricing up wiring a log type cabin which is already built. This is a whole house so will need a lot of cabling. First thoughts were D-LINE type trunking but probably not enough area to get cables in. Then maybe the dado type trunking in wood affect not to sure about having this low level in a house. Anybody done one and other ideas.

no its solid wood may be able to hide a few in some cupboards . Don't think 2 x 2 white trunking in a house would look to good.

Is this a new build as a permanent dwelling?

So it's a log cabin, with probably 4" solid wood log walls. How does that comply with current building regs regarding insulation? I've come across these as outbuildings, where building regs don't apply, and I've come across them where internally they are battened out, insulated and plasterboarded.

There are a few of these around here, mostly built in the 1970's, but they actually planned ahead when they were built, and (almost certainly in the factory) they drilled cable drops into the logs to hide cabling. Not an option to retro fit and no scope for modifications, but that's how it should have been done.

I do quite a few wooden "eco houses" but they all have standard plasterboard internal walls with a service void behind the plasterboard.

Your only options do appear to be surface mount. If they want to keep the wooden look, what about some wooden dado rail with a channel routed out of the back?

Dare I say for light switches, hide cables behind the door archtrave (cough, safe zones, cough)

Is it a suspended floor? how about rather than hiding cables, make a feature of surface mounted wiring e.g galvanised conduit coming up from the floor to each socket?

Not sure yet was talking about taking floor up and putting cabling under floors trouble is if vermin get under there they may destroy cabling. I quite like the idea of wood look skirting trunking but getting 25x16 to match may be a problem.

Just do it all surface unless they wish to pay for your time in trying to hide cables in an unusual situation . I'd do the lot in dado trunking with minl trunking up to lights , possibly fit all wall lights too .

I think i will need another meeting to discuss options. Was hoping somebody may have done one so had some good ideas for wiring them.

Only log cabins I ever knew were in Canada , didn't wire them up , 'cos I wanted to be a Lumberjack so all together nowwwwwwwwww ...................................................." OOOOohhhh I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK , I sleep all night and I work all day .....I cut down trees , I eat my lunch , I go to the lavatory ...."

Oh come on ...join in chaps .

Nozler i think that may be a cheaper option than skirting trunking and probably would look better as for sandra you really are not helping and i don't sing on sundays as its a day of rest.

We have done flats with solid floors and ceilings by running all cables at the top of the walls against the ceiling and finally hidden by quadrant coving .

OK we chased down the walls and plastered up but you could use trunking .

I think a bit of d-line trunking next to architrave should not look to bad if it was beige. I think it will be one of those jobs you have to make the best of a bad job to start with.

OK so here's a thought for you....Could you not batten off some skirting and run your cables in there?
But outside safe zones, so you would either need your sockets in the skirting (against building regs) or the wiring behind the skirting in steel conduit (or that expensive approved earthed cable)

Recently did some work in a flat that had been taken back to brick, with plumbing pipework on show and all wiring in galv conduit. It was done as a feature and looked absoloutly fantastic.