Working on house leccy with no isolator!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted some info on electric meters/house setups in general im about to install a second CU but dont have an isolator switch installed after my electric meter!

So was just going to pull the service block but this will cause the electric meter to temperately turn off. Will this be a problem will the eclectic meter record this event for when next a meter reader puts his/hers key into it as i wouldn't want to cause any problems with meter security ect. Thank you.

The meter won't record the event. Nothing to worry about.

When isolated, cut the tails after the meter and fit henley blocks to split the tails in two for the new CU

Yet again there's 2 ways of interpreting one of the regulations regarding isolation of an installation.

Some say you can just cut the tails and split in a Henley block to multiple CU's, but then you have no single point of isolation for the entire installation. Others say you need the isolator to comply with requirements for isolation.

I always fit an isolator where multiple CU's are fitted. Covered then whatever the interpretation is, and my interpretation is that it needs it.

thanx guys fast reply and decisive as well ill add a switch fuse after the Henley going to new CU thanx again.......

To add to this question I was wondering if the same goes for pre payment meters ? as they are mini computerised units would this cause issues if the service fuse is just pulled ?

To add to this question I was wondering if the same goes for pre payment meters ? as they are mini computerised units would this cause issues if the service fuse is just pulled ?
No. But even if it did, it wouldn't know the difference between a powercut and a service fuse pull, and they wouldn;t bother going to the trouble of checking logs and records even if it did record it.

So it would still work correctly, sorry I didnt mean would it say fuse pulled but would it corrupt the data stored on there , like the details or the key info that links that key to that meter ?

So it would still work correctly, sorry I didnt mean would it say fuse pulled but would it corrupt the data stored on there , like the details or the key info that links that key to that meter ?
Shouldn;t do. There'll be an NVM in there and\or a backup battery\capacitor to allow for power outages for whatever reason.

Some say you can just cut the tails and split in a Henley block to multiple CU's, but then you have no single point of isolation for the entire installation. Others say you need the isolator to comply with requirements for isolation.
there was a thread on this a while back - in my opinion (and i have regs to back it up), you dont need an isolator before tails

I know the regs you are referring to, and IIRC I was involved in the aforementioned thread and interpreted them differently to you so it would make no difference if you did get the regs out. ;)

I know the regs you are referring to, and IIRC I was involved in the aforementioned thread and interpreted them differently to you so it would make no difference if you did get the regs out. ;)
sounds like debate is over already!

hahahah i was just about to update the thread asking about if the meter is a pre payment (new simm on key type) or (sim on plastic card type) would a fuse pull erase the credit on there as there's around

Latest posts