Would this be a minor works

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke to NIC technical about some down lights we fitted in a bedroom, we were converting it from a pendant to down lighters using the existing switchwire up to a jb in the loft then out to the downlighters. NIC tech said so long as the only cables less than 50mm were existing ones and our new cables were just in the loft no RCD was needed.

I would have thought that, when you alter or amend a circuit, at least that WHOLE circuit should be compliant; or noted as a deviation.KME
id say just the part your install. but in some cases, its quicker & easier to make the entire circuit comply

Sorry to butt in, but if what you've stated is the case, when I added an emergency light fitting (yesterday), should I note the fact that the particular cct I altered is NOT RCD protected?Or am I missing the point :coat
did the circuit even need RCD'd?

I would have thought that, when you alter or amend a circuit, at least that WHOLE circuit should be compliant; or noted as a deviation.KME
Incorrect - rcd protection is only applicable to your installation work. The IET are peddling the "whole circuit" drivel as a political tool against the ESC/NICEIC who are responding in kind.

Don`t pander to the politico`s, it only makes them worse.

I take the view that until they get their act together i`ll use my own judgement, which, incidentally, has proved to be more reliable - it is based on common sense serving the interests of my customers.

Remember WE are the only people in the industry that have to deal with the consequences of their inane bulls**t on a daily basis AND have to justify it to the CUSTOMER.

If they don`t like it, they know where I am. X(