Year 3..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I may change my invoicing policy, people like discounts...

But the discounts applied will be at their expense.

:eek:

I use the same tactic & % but on a different slantI state 14 day payment terms on my invoices but a 5% discount given if payment is received in 7 days (suprising how quick people will pay up if they think they are getting a discount).................The 5% is added to the original quotation so I loose nothing if they stump up in 7 days but gain 5% if they take longer than 7 days to pay B)
Nice one M107 that tactic was included in a eBay how to make earn money and keep it CD i had written some years ago

But personally i used 2% ( you added more cash ) but only with the corporate kind of client i

Which is why I still work "cards in", I would love to be self employed with all the forigners I get every weekend but there is no way I would risk non payment with my commitments, maybe one day :)

once the kids have gone B)B)
Life is full of risks, to some it is the one thing that keeps life interesting..

Others (perhaps many) prefer routine without the risks of change

; \

It's been a busy week so far, everyday I've gained more work...

Today was a service contract for a insulation company...

(Perhaps this is the year)

:D

I have a slightly different approach about getting money in & have used it for 30 years & it works well.

28 days, as price, 2.5% discount for payment within 10 days & 5% discount for payment within 2 days, it goes without saying that I get paid in full for a rewire by return of post. If its a large job say over 2.5k I might occasionally ask for a progress payment for a lesser amount than actual work carried out, again within 2 days. The giving of a discount does work I can assure you as I dont have to pay bank overdraught fees. You have to remember to add a bit on the price depending on the job this can be 5% added then i take it off again.

Impressed with your accomplishments ext; and like some of the 5% schemes. We`ve only been trading 10 months so far; (anyone having read my welcome note will know the reasons behind that.)

I thought I was charging competitively, until I see some of the figures quoted on here. Now i`m beginning to think that I`m too cheap.

One thing we have done from the beginning: Allow time for unforseen complications in your estimate. I explain to the customers that I`ve allowed for possible problems, and that, if I finish in a shorter time than I estimate, there`ll be a comparative reduction in the bill. However, it will NOT go up. On the negative side, you`ll come out slightly more expensive; however we are finding that our customers are happier to know the maximum cost (and time), and have the chance of a reduction at the end, than find we`ve been two days longer than we anticipated (8X4 T+G bugboard nailed anyone???) and want to up the bill.

Seems to work for us. Congrats again M8

Kme, I quite like the idea of that, and seriously - It helps the people who suffer from "Anxiety".

I prefer that method and knowing that it won't be More - with a possability of a reduced is great.

I have heard boys saying that if you get every or neary every job that you quote for - Then you are going in too cheap.

How many work for you Kme?

Impressed with your accomplishments ext; and like some of the 5% schemes. We`ve only been trading 10 months so far; (anyone having read my welcome note will know the reasons behind that.)I thought I was charging competitively, until I see some of the figures quoted on here. Now i`m beginning to think that I`m too cheap.

One thing we have done from the beginning: Allow time for unforseen complications in your estimate. I explain to the customers that I`ve allowed for possible problems, and that, if I finish in a shorter time than I estimate, there`ll be a comparative reduction in the bill. However, it will NOT go up. On the negative side, you`ll come out slightly more expensive; however we are finding that our customers are happier to know the maximum cost (and time), and have the chance of a reduction at the end, than find we`ve been two days longer than we anticipated (8X4 T+G bugboard nailed anyone???) and want to up the bill.

Seems to work for us. Congrats again M8
Odd occasions I have dropped the price, when I have finished earlier..

But I now take the view that 'some you win some you loose' so I stick with quotes, except for the odd job where there may be unknowns..

On the winning side for example, Friday I fitted a CU, Added Main bonds (Gas local, Water outside 3metre run in conduit), chased in 2 sockets, changed a light fitting and a couple of minor replacements.......

On the odd jobs I do as a 'private sparks' I always ask for up-front money for materials and a set fee for each day. Cash of course! ]:)

Before you ask about tax I did used to inform the Tax Man until I got sent a bill for 12 pence!

The stamp, paper and office persons time cost more than that!

So I paid it via cheque at a post office! ]:)

Jamie:

Just me & the missus - she deals with the clerical & books, I just go do the wires & associated paperwork (Or should that be the other way around?)

:D :D

Ext,

C.U., main bonds (where you get c.u. for

Jamie:Just me & the missus - she deals with the clerical & books, I just go do the wires & associated paperwork (Or should that be the other way around?)

:D :D

Ext,

C.U., main bonds (where you get c.u. for