Your Own Vehicle

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coleedgar57

Reaction score
HI, just looking for people's opinion. I'm starting my elecctrical apprenticeship next month and I want to get my driving licence straight away at 17 but as i would be getting picked up to go to the site with my mentor I don't know if it would be worth it to spend so much money on a car or van when i can just wait till i finish my apprenticeship and the costs would be easier to pay and my mentor wouldn't be driving me.

Okay thanks. If i did get a car or a van near the end or after I've finished my apprenticeship would you recommend a car or van and do you have any recommendations for any models of car or van for work use.

you would only need a van if you were going to go work for yourself...  if you were employed then you would only need a car to get to work, or your boss would be supplying a van...

Canoeboy said:
VW Transporter T32 LWB 180PS DSG

Can be used for work, familes and holiday, a true all rounder, bit like our kerching :slap
I Must admit that, at present, I am quite round. Rounder than I would like to be honest!

If you are young then there is more scope for 'manoeuvers' in the back of a Van as opposed to the back seat of a car....just saying

seeing as your 17 get something with 3 cylinders and no racing credentials whatsoever! :lol:

I'd suggest a horse but According to kerching they live exclusively on a diet of £50 notes.

maybe a bike or even a moped?

as for a LWB 180ps transporter with DSG unless you win the lottery I would keep on dreaming.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently tractors are cheap to insure..

I remember watching something on the TV a while ago about kids who've just passed their test and there was a young lad on it who had a tractor that was only something like £30 to insure

The main thing as already mentioned is insurance.

So the key thing is you want something cheap to insure while you build up a no claims bonus. Let the insurance rating be your guide for your first vehicle. 

Unless you have to keep up with your mates in which case you need something flashy and fast and sod the expense. you are only young once.

But don't think of a work vehicle just yet, save that for later.

In my day it was the likes of a Ford Capri. The depth of your pocket determined if you got a 2LS or a 1.6L Unless you really wanted cheap and you had a mini (the original mini)

Just to be different, I had a series II landrover.  Yes that was cheap to insure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a stockbroker who bought his son a brand new 1100cc something like a Saxo or similar....about as powerful,as,a liquidizer

State of the art stereo, big bore exhaustd, tinted windows....the Works.

I Asked him why......answer

Everytime he goes out in it he gets pulled by the Police!..He dare not drink,,speed, turn the stereo up, nothing. Just pootles about at 28mph.! Never had a ticket or any points

Just,saying

None on mine.....only been driving 41 years though

Had three points many years ago.....for about two weeks. I was responding to a call from Trumpton to kill a supply at a big fire...too long a story to go into.

Got points overturned

Also,had to go on first speed awareness course in Lancashire many years ago......so,did not get the points.

Just saying

why didnt trumpton do it. they do know electrics better than us
This was way way way before Trumpton wrote the regs....in those days they ( believe it or not ) used to put out fires and shoot cats out of trees with water jets. Oh, and get this, you could get them to come to site and advise you about Fire Alarms and Emergency Lights and stuff, really!

I remember my great great grandaddy Kerch telling me

This was way way way before Trumpton wrote the regs....in those days they ( believe it or not ) used to put out fires and shoot cats out of trees with water jets. Oh, and get this, you could get them to come to site and advise you about Fire Alarms and Emergency Lights and stuff, really!

I remember my great great grandaddy Kerch telling me
Don't mention shooting cats :run

None on mine.....only been driving 41 years though

Had three points many years ago.....for about two weeks. I was responding to a call from Trumpton to kill a supply at a big fire...too long a story to go into.

Got points overturned

Also,had to go on first speed awareness course in Lancashire many years ago......so,did not get the points.

Just saying
[SIZE=medium]Never had a single point or penalty in 42 years despite having a copper sprawled over the car bonnet.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I don’t envy youngsters getting their first car nowadays.[/SIZE]