Zappi2 occasionally trips its rcd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Aargh

Reaction score
Hi my zappi 2 trips its fuse (on its little daughter board with a single fuse for the Zappi). It does this roughly once every 6 weeks. Myenergi argue it is too intermittent to consider a significant fault. What could be the cause?

I believe it might be the zappi cause the car has not tripped any other system only ours at home.

It is the zappi's own little fuse (it's like a single mcb bolted on to the main fuse board) that goes but as you say I don't have a way of knowing what electrical item causes it.

I believe it might be the zappi cause the car has not tripped any other system only ours at home.

It is the zappi's own little fuse (it's like a single mcb bolted on to the main fuse board) that goes but as you say I don't have a way of knowing what electrical item causes it.
What rating and characteristic?

Zappi doesnt do very much that could trip a fuse, it's really only a switch that if conditions are right switches power on to the EV. Just out of interest does it ever trip the MCB when the car isnt connected?

Mcb 5 yrs, zappi2 under 1 yr, eV under 1 Yr (2019 62kwh Nissan Leaf bough second hand)

On the basis the zappi2 is less than 1 years old I would suggest you get the installer back
I personallty dont see how it can be the Zappi causing the problem. All it does is talk to the car and pickup a relay at the appropriate time supplying 240v to the EV after safety checks have been performed.

John, apologies. It doesn't trip when the car is not connected, no. And to post a pic as requested, of the fuse that it tripped, see attached.

Attachments

• 20231210_204843.jpg
    20231210_204843.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231210_204820.jpg
    20231210_204820.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
John, apologies. It doesn't trip when the car is not connected, no. And to post a pic as requested, of the fuse that it tripped, see attached.

That’s an RCBO not a fuse.

Still think you should start by getting the zappi installer involved AND bear in mind not many sparks have proper test kit for EV chargers

As per Murdoch's reply, I would ask your installer to have another look, it may be some odd earthing arrangement etc. I still feel it's more likely to be a car issue than the Zappi for reasons stated earlier.

Those GARO RCBO’s are known to fail,,, GARO have even changed the spec and it’s now got a different part number…. I bet if you can reduce the charge rate to 16A that it won’t fail…. They’ve found that they can’t run at full chat without failing (after a period of time)

The replacement GARO part number is RCBOGRB40EVS and they cost ITRO £35 (delivered)