10mA RCD

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyngarth

Reaction score
Hi

Just going though a few old 2392 papers, got my exam next week, and was a little stuck on this question,

When testing a 10mA rcd what is the maximum test current that should be applied

20mA

30mA

40mA

50mA

Have never fitted a 10mA so never come across this, so could some one please help me out with this ??

Cheers

Lyngarth

Well max test current is 5x so it would be 50maHTH
Hi

well that was my thinking, same as other rcd's, but was just looking about on the net and reading how very sensitive it was, so was just checking with you guys.

Cheers

Lyngarth

Was reading the instructions for an electric underfloor heating mat the other day and they wanted a 10mA RCD. Not sure any others still make them (or ever did) so that'll be a 30mA then.

10mA very common in school science labs, You can get them in 5mA versions but more common in America than over here

10mA very common in school science labs, You can get them in 5mA versions but more common in America than over here
OK as long as there are no computers or any other PSU with filters are put on these circuits

Was reading the instructions for an electric underfloor heating mat the other day and they wanted a 10mA RCD. Not sure any others still make them (or ever did) so that'll be a 30mA then.
It is a requirement of the Regulations that manufacturers' instructions be adhered to.

The instructions suggest a device specification thats not readily available so 30mA will be acceptable.

Really? So you see wylex 10mA RCBO's all the time then? Strange as 3 Wholesalers in my area said they don't even make them but I guess you know better then?

it does not appear Wylex do, but Crabtee, MG, SqD, Siemens, MEM (incl. rcbo's), hager (rcbo's).

In fact I could have got a 16, 20 or 32A 10ma Hager RCBO by tomorrow if it had been ordered before 20:00.

So they are available.

I have also siliconed pvc quadrant around my bath (don't ask!) in the time it has taken me between posts so they are not hard to find, sorry.

If one isnt available for the existing CU then a standalone enclosure with the correct device could be used.

it does not appear Wylex do, but Crabtee, MG, SqD, Siemens, MEM (incl. rcbo's), hager (rcbo's).In fact I could have got a 16, 20 or 32A 10ma Hager RCBO by tomorrow if it had been ordered before 20:00.

So they are available.

I have also siliconed pvc quadrant around my bath (don't ask!) in the time it has taken me between posts so they are not hard to find, sorry.
oh really why did you have water leaking down the sides, then, :innocent :run think it might be time for the :popcorn to be on the cooker and not forgetting the :coffee as well :^O :^O

If one isnt available for the existing CU then a standalone enclosure with the correct device could be used.
Subject to space constraints. Not possiable.

then use a different make/model that doesnt require 10mA RCD. simple.

Ian - remember the 'does this comply' thread? your the one going on about how it doesnt comply (and sticking to the regs), yet in this thread your saying ignore the manufacturers instructions, which means not complying with the reg about following manufacturers instructions