2.5mm Radials - Existing Domestic Circuits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Ian, you explained it and got it across better than me.

You know some of you guys need to read the whole of a thread and not just parts of it.

Sparky999 asked:

"As long as it doesn't exceed 50m2 and a ring is 100m2 and 4mm cable is 75m2 i believe. What if the radial is say nearer a 100m2 but you're still under your Zs is it still fine and carry on as you are?"

I was saying that even though the Zs may be ok volt drop may not be. He wasn't talking about the standard circuit lengths in the OSG and neither was I.

Volti,

I was referring to the std make up of circuits on the OSG, which is designed to cater for all of the brb requirements (within reason).

I can't know the exact details of the install unless I have seen it can I?

Thus, I can't comment on the exact install can I!

The question was asked right there Sidewinder, why did you come on and start talking about standard circuit lengths in the OSG as if I didn't know they existed? Possibly we're getting our wires crossed, forgive the pun. We weren't speaking of a specific install, we were talking about floor area served. Sparky999 was asking if it's ok to exceed the area if the Zs is still below and I merely pointed out that VD may be an issue since the cable length may well be exceeded. Take a lighting circuit, you can easily exceed the standard circuit length and your Zs will still be well within tolerance.

I hoped that you knew they existed! :)

My point being that IF circuits are to be designed not plucked from the book then you would need to go down the design route, perhaps not one of my best explanations with hindsight! :_|

It was a long night last night and there were a few other things going on!

:Blushing :coat

Yeah cheers voltimax well pointed out, sorry to get you confused or was it you or sidewinder getting confused ahh, haha na cheers guys

As long as it doesnt exceed 50m2 and a ring is 100 and 4mm cable is 75m2 i believe. What if the radial is say nearer a 100m2 but your still under your zs is it still fine and carry on as you are?
Also check voltage drop.

They have fitted two A3 standard circuitsv(Table 8A OSG) - I always prefer to install radials (A2) Just wired a church building using nothing but A2 and A3 circuits