4Mm Radial Off Ring Cct

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit odd, but if on 32A MCB, and installation method is correct, I don't see why not. Biggest problem is getting 4mm cable in back of socket terminals these days. Would be interested to knew why not Andy?

Well i think it could be acceptable. My reasons for doubt are you could be pulling too much current from one leg of the ring & overloading that 2.5 cable. But.......... thats no different to the kitchen appliance grids that are in fashion right now, and why i try not to wire these on a ring but if insisted on, a 4mm radial.

why i am asking is a customer wants a supply for a summer house ajacent to the house , the cu is on the other side and it is not feasable to do it , i explained that a 13amp fused spur would be the answer , however the load will probably be over 13amps not by much but over never the less.

now then can a ring be extended with a 6 core cable or does it have to be seperated by two cables fby regulation

How much over 13A? It takes quite a bit more than 13A to blow a 13A BS1362 fuse

I think the reason a 4mm spur from a ring is not acceptable, is simply that a 2.5mm ring is a special case in BS7671 and the acceptable cable sizes and arangements are clearly defined, and a 4mm spur is not included in the definition.

Hi all,

The regs, and their accompanying diagram make it all perfectly clear...

Unfused spur; "An unfused spur should feed one single or one twin socket-outlet only" Soooo, that is the end of the argument!!

As regards fused spurs, according to the regs and the diagram, they can be used to do a few different things [including fixed equipment], but the killer is, it clearly states " Fused connection unit [FCU] to BS 1363-4" ----- "maximum fuse 13A"

So, that is the end of that then!!!

john...

Well I personally would not be to worried about putting three extra sockets say in a bedroom in 4 mm of a ring. In an ideal world you would extend the ring but this may not always be possible. Personally I would not be supplying the summerhouse of the ring. You know for a fact they will want a 3 kw heater in it and probably a lot of other stuff. I would insist it has its own supply and not cut corners. What other stuff is on this ring main?

Just done a similar thing

However mine was with 6mm swa over 10 m to feed a wooden shed came out of existing socket with 6mm t/e fed a cooker switch swa to cu in she'd and put a Flori and 1 2 gang socket in told him that it wasn't the best but has he'd just had his kitchen done and new wooden flooring put down there was no chance of getting a new feed over until a later date when they upstairs.

I also warned of taking heaters kettles etc to the shed

All test results were fine and just noted on cert y I had to come off existing ring

U know the saying u can only pi*s wi c**k u got

Hi all,

Unfused spur; "An unfused spur should feed one single or one twin socket-outlet only" Soooo, that is the end of the argument!!

As regards fused spurs, according to the regs and the diagram, they can be used to do a few different things [including fixed equipment], but the killer is, it clearly states " Fused connection unit [FCU] to BS 1363-4" ----- "maximum fuse 13A"

So, that is the end of that then!!!

john...
No its not that easy. What reg numbers are you refering to ? Also see post #9 above. Have a look at 433.1.

As i said in #5, pulling too much current off one leg of the ring is my main concern .

Stuart, what is going in the summerhouse thats pulling more than 13A ?

Hi all,

john...
that's for 2.5mm spur off ring not 4mm, so not perfectly clear.

4mm will carry 32A under correct conditions, so I would view this as a 'lollipop' in reverse.