5 week wonder, urban myth?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Domestic Installers should also never be let anywhere near commercial/industrial
The irony there, is you need LESS qualifications to do industrial / commercial, i.e there's no part P to worry about, so that's one less 5 day course needed.

The irony there, is you need LESS qualifications to do industrial / commercial, i.e there's no part P to worry about, so that's one less 5 day course needed.
Exactly, the whole things ********

I wonder whether insurance companies are really aware of what they're covering sometimes

Last edited by a moderator:
Because they're not electricians, they're domestic installers.
Fair point, but my Elecsa membership classes me as an 'approved contractor', although if people ask I do tell them i'm a DI.....

wow, alot of hate going on, I started the thread and you bothered to reply with honest answers which is appreciated. Must admit I had no idea that feelings about the subject were so strong.

wow, alot of hate going on, I started the thread and you bothered to reply with honest answers which is appreciated. Must admit I had no idea that feelings about the subject were so strong.
Can of worms mate.....can of worms!!!!

I don't do domestic are you saying I now need a 5 week qualification if I want to do domestic?!? ?:|

Fair point, but my Elecsa membership classes me as an 'approved contractor', although if people ask I do tell them i'm a DI.....
Not having a go at you personally but I bet your website say's you're an electrician

Not having a go at you personally but I bet your website say's you're an electrician
No, don't have a website, my cards state 'electrics' not electrician. I don't do industrial or 3 phase, I stick to what I know I can do.....

Before anyone gets all heated about 5 week wonders, just remember like PC electrics, some have done this type of work without any qualifications for many many years, and probably have a greater grasp of the regulations than those who follow parrot fashion. In all walks of life there are good and bad, I have seen bad workmanship from both 5 week wonders and larger fully AC companies, and have acted as an expert witness in litigation for both.You must remember its not the way they became electricians that is at fault, thats the governments fault for not providing adult training that reflects modern life. Experiance is also reflective, lets take the new driver for instance, we all had to learn and we all passed the test to drive, and I bet we all thought we could handle a car at high speed before we even really knew how to use our brakes properly. So before anyone judges those they have no knowledge of,just make sure when your calling them they are the bad ones, and not the few who are very good at what they do, and stay within their own agreed limitations.

, and probably have a greater grasp of the regulations than those who follow parrot fashion.
:thumbsup:

My second pet hate..Regs Nazis

:thumbsup:My second pet hate..Regs Nazis
Whichever we you see it, regs are a fact of life, and if you can understand the regs enough to find the information you need to ensure your installation complies then thats a good thing.

What is annoying is people who spout the regs, thinking they know it all to try and belittle you, but wouldnt have a clue in how to physically do the jobs themselves.

NB i think Nazi is a bit of a harsh name though!

That will be me then, I am an original REGS nerd
I'm all for regs but it's made some people think they're QC's

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:37 ----------

What is annoying is people who spout the regs, thinking they know it all to try and belittle you, but wouldnt have a clue in how to physically do the jobs themselves.
Agreed Nazi was a bit harsh and I've invoked Godwins Law, but the broader point still stands

Why does somebody being a DI make it unlikely that have done a college course?

He paid him a days wages, and I managed to get hold of the company that exchanged the motor, after checking it was an old type anyway and did not have the green symbol, for efficiency, so talked him into keeping the new motor with warranty, and I gave him a number of a local electrician who knows his onions. the guy that tried to fix it was a DI, so I doubt he even did a college course.

I think we have to take a step back here, within the Part P system, as we know we have both a DI and an AC accreditation system. According to the NIC, before you can get onto the AC register, you have to be registered as a DI with them for at least a year first. I am not a short course individual, having done the old 2360 Part 1 and 2, but failed the second part to dropping college through injury. As most know, I have gotten through college will signing on with the JSA. I have wired everything from airport aprons, to pubs and single sockets. I have met the very best and worst in that time. So when I do sort My Part P out, I will have to go in as a DI, I don't necessarily want to, but I have to play ball with the view to one day hopefully going AC. The crux of the issue in My opinion is the perceived definitions of the term electrician. I may be barking up the wrong tree here completely, and gone off on a tangent. If thats the case I apologise to all.

AndyGuinness

Why does somebody being a DI make it unlikely that have done a college course?
Because if you had done a proper college course over a number of years, you would have learnt about single phase, three phase, star, delta, motors etc and that you would know to not connect L1,L2 and L3 to L, N, E.

Therefore Manator probably and rightly assumed the DI had done a short course.

Because if you had done a proper college course over a number of years, you would have learnt about single phase, three phase, star, delta, motors etc and that you would know to not connect L1,L2 and L3 to L, N, E.Therefore Manator probably and rightly assumed the DI had done a short course.
Incorrectly connecting the motor would indeed suggest someone had not done a proper course - DI status does not imply this at all.

I must clarify that I assume a lot, and my comment was not politicaly correct, there are some DI's that have completed all the college courses, and my original statement is flawed. I am human and as such liable to make assumptions, and make mistakes, but man enough to apologise, and learn from them.

Manator, if My post was perceived to be having a poke at you, it wasn't in the least and if so, I apologise if offence on My part has been caused.AndyGuinness
I would urge any member never to apologise for any post unless they have been proved to be wrong, just because I am a Moderator does not and should not exclude me from any rebuff. If I or any other Moderator or admin openly post in any discussion we should be treated as any other poster. Our job is to act against those who would try to pull the forum down, and keep debates civil.

I see no reason why your comments should cause me any offence, and I also know that what ever you post is from your own convictions and as such are valid. No apoligies required, and certainly no offence occured.

Besides I like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.