adding sockets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen36

Reaction score
i want to add some sockets to an existing ring final circuit, but would like some information as to the best method of adding them whilst mentaining the integrity of the ring and the best way to run the cable. i know how to wire a ring but have never installed one in a domestic premises. Thanks for any help recieved.

Can we have more info Stephen?

1. What is your current ring supplying at the moment?

2. Why do you want to add more sockets?

3. will it be convenient to extend the ring from an existing socket?

4. Is the socket you might extend the ring from 1 or 2 gang?

5. Have you tested the ring circuit to ensure it is safe to make additions to?

If you can post back then forum members may be able to help you. ;)

cheers lads, well firstly the ring is supplying the usual utilities but i only have one circuit and it is not split into two (upstairs & downstairs) i only have one socket in each of the bedrooms and require more (2 more in each). will be puttin in two x 1 gang skts. have not tested ring circuit at the db but had a new consumer ul nit 2 years ago and it was all test and inspected.Hope this helps clarify the situation a little. cheers lads.

Are you an industrial spark mate cos in your pictures there some pretty heavy switchgear lol. Did you install them beauties?

This job sounds like my house lol 1 socket in each room

nice one zeespark jus checked it i got two double bedrooms and 1 single.the doubles i am cool to put in two skts but the single only 1 more as these rooms are no more than 12m squared.

nah m4tty im a wire/man fitter i actually build these units and power factor correction units as well, but bam currently lookin to jump onto the installation side of things.

If your bedroom sockets are 2gang (assuming all flush mounted) then take the one leg out of the socket terminals crimp on new cable and run around the bedroom to your two new sockets and then take this new cable back into exisiting socket to complete the ring. When drilling through joists ensure you try and drill near the middle and route away from central heating pipes. (have you got an Onsite Guide which will explain things?)

if you only have existing 1 gang sockets it might be a bit of a push crimping on new cable in the backbox and getting the socket back in as there is not much room and i have had conductors snap on me before.

So either convert the existing 1g skt to 2 gang and complete as above, or do this.

chase down the wall from exisiting socket, pull up floorboard and remove 1 leg from the socket. Crimp a new cable on and enclose in a chocbox and screw to the middle of a nearby joist.

Then complete as above, ie run to new socket positions and back to original socket to complete the ring.

Obviously i am assuming you ok with safe isolation, testing and building regs.

thanks for the info robin spark so thats how i keep the ring nice one seems pretty straight forward.Yeah i'm cool with the installation side of it and i,ve a friend who will do the test and inspection of the circuit as i havent my 2391 yet.

Whilst you are doing this work, would it not be possible to divide the one circuit into two? It would be possible to find the in/out legs for the upstairs sockets and join them together, then run a 2.5mm t&e up and put all the upstairs sockets on a 20amp radial. Just a thought.

Whilst you are doing this work, would it not be possible to divide the one circuit into two? It would be possible to find the in/out legs for the upstairs sockets and join them together, then run a 2.5mm t&e up and put all the upstairs sockets on a 20amp radial. Just a thought.
Becomes notifiable then !!!!

True but if any boards are coming up and any chasing being done, it would be best to get it done now rather than later, if you get my meaning.

not a bad idea nozspark jus means pulling up floor and i dont have floorboards its that pain in the bum all in one, where u heve to cut bits out lol. think i might just buy a new house its less trouble lol

not a bad idea nozspark jus means pulling up floor and i dont have floorboards its that pain in the bum all in one, where u heve to cut bits out lol. think i might just buy a new house its less trouble lol
Well you will have to lift several sections of the floor anyway to add your sockets, so the extra work might be not be as much as you think and you'll end up with a better installation