Additional Consumer Unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryn

Reaction score
Gents your thoughts please

Been to look at a job today client wants a PIR it is a commercial property and the 2 off 8 way consumer units are a mess no previous PIR.

but thats another story client wants an additional CU installed in his kitchen as it is a commercial kitchen (pub).

Kitchen is approx 12 mtrs from main incomer which has henleys fitted and TNCS supply question what would you guys run new 80amp supply in . armoured , Concentric ?? or other

It has to go surface clipped or trunking across beam in bar then rise into loft void to go into kitchen pretty easy route just wanted your views on best way to run supply.

I would go with swa, if its TP+N I would make sure the phases are balanced, or run a TP+N to a small board this would give you the option of TP appliances, like dishwashers and the like.

Thanks for replies guys was thinking concentric myself but never used this before any tips or do's and dont's with it.

supply is single phase not 3 phase

Thanks for replies guys was thinking concentric myself but never used this before any tips or do's and dont's with it.supply is single phase not 3 phase
Treat it in a similar way to swa, once you strip the ends its easy enough.

For the first time make sure you have planty of spare so if you do cut or damage anything you still have some slack to use.

If you`re on a pub kitchen extension, with an SP supply, I`d suggest ensuring it is big enough to handle the load - I`ve recently been renewing the submains to a pub, where the previous electrician looked "domestic trained"; i.e. TPN supply with about thirty domestic type SPN boards scattered around the building, taken off a nest of henly`s. No single point of isolation, and a load across the phases of 145A with the kitchen working normally (NOT flat out). Unless your customer has a small pub, or huge incomer, a verification of power usage may be advantageous.

KME

Thanks for replies guys was thinking concentric myself but never used this before any tips or do's and dont's with it.supply is single phase not 3 phase
easy to use - score outer sheath, snap back, remove. its normally easier to sleeve each earth conductor individually