Advice on

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayenn

Reaction score
I have a large shed at the top of my back garden, about 15 metres away from a smaller shed, which is about 3 metres from my back door and the nearest power point. I want to add lighting and power for small tools (drills, jigsaw mainly) to both - the lighting would be from standard bulbs (60 watt )

I'd either run the power in permanently using proper armoured cable for use outdoors doing the calculations based on loads etc. or just use extension leads only and unplug when not needed. I wouldn't have something permenent connected to something temporary if you see where I'm coming from.

1.5mm twin and earth is normally only used for lighting circuits indoors and shouldn't really be run in conduit connected to a fence.

Don't you know any spark mates locally who can advise you better seeing the job

Hth

Matty

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:59 ----------

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Get it done properly mate, the money spent will add more value to your property in the long run, armoured cable in a trench is a lot better/safer than surface plastic conduit! Plus with a permanent feed you have a heater and kettle in winter and a beer fridge in the summer :D

Get it done properly mate, the money spent will add more value to your property in the long run, armoured cable in a trench is a lot better/safer than surface plastic conduit! Plus with a permanent feed you have a heater and kettle in winter and a beer fridge in the summer :D
Hi Guy,

Yes, SWA would be far better but (and here's the sob story bit) I am too old to dig trenches, especially if you could see my condition and where the trench would have to be dug, I am a pensioner so can't really afford to pay for an expert to do it (are those violins I can hear? Yes! They are! Go toward the light! Oh, sorry, wrong story?) and what's that about a heater and kettle in winter and a beer fridge in summer? I don't need those things - my mum brought me up strong.

Seriously Guy, you're obviously correct but I am having to save money (I wish those violins would go away). i retired from the electrical industry about eight years ago so am capable of doing the job but trying to do it in the cheapest way I can while making it as safe as I can.

Thanks very much for your input!

John

With reference to the trench, school summer holidays are just around the corner, ask around and I am sure you will finding a willing lad that wants to earn some cash in hand. Your retired, surely a kettle and beer fridge in the workshop is whats its all about :put the kettle on Guinness

default_good%20luck.gif

Hi Doc H.

Both you and Guy are obviously right and if I don't have to dig the trench it becomes not a problem. I've used SWA several times in my work, in the past, and on every occasion I've had to have a trench dug, and that's what I wanted to avoid. I can buy 2.5mm 3-core SWA from a local wholesaler but thanks very much for the link - I have an account with Screwfix, so will look into them as well.

It really was/is the problem of digging the trench - that's why the previous owner took the easy way out. The problem is that to get to the shed at the top of the garden, the trench would need to be cut into a thick concrete base, go through a brick wall then cut into what is a thick layer of rubble and broken bricks, go around a large tree and its roots, and, finally, through an even thicker concrete base on which the large shed (12 ft x 8 ft) stands. On the other hand, the fence is in a direct line between both sheds.

If I can, legally, run the SWA above ground it becomes a much easier problem to solve - sorry about my ignorance!

Thanks again.

John

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was made at 13:42 ----------

There are major problems with digging this trench (see my other posts) but thanks for the suggestion! Suddenly, however, a kettle and beer fridge sound more important than the drill and jigsaw! If, as Doc H seems to have suggetsed, I can run the SWA above ground, then I have no problems.

John

If you have previously worked in the trade you will be aware that BS7671 is non statutory so wiring regulations themselves carry no legal weight. But legally you do have to comply with Part P building regulations when installing external supplies that cross a garden. So If you are doing this yourself, you will have to check with your LABC to see what their charges are for coming and inspecting & certifying your work. It may be cheaper to get an approved contractor to come and do it. The solutions that are being offered on the forum generally are the ones that satisfy both safety and cost. Any person with any limited electrical knowledge would be aware that it is foolhardy to consider fixing any electrical cables or accessories to any non ridged structure that has the potential to be blown down. SWA does not have to be buried. Cables can be run overhead or in surface ducts or make a new low structure away from the fence to fix the cable to? Again whatever the previous own did is irrelevant, good workmanship and proper materials should be used for all new works. If as you say you want the job done safely then cutting corners on cost is a bit of a contradiction.

Just for the record, the wiring regulations do specifically say that no alterations temporary or permanent shall be be made to an installation without doing some essential checks on the condition of the existing installation and its earthing arrangements first. Temporary leads and extensions would actually require a greater level of safety considerations as they are more susceptible to damage in use. Correctly fixed wiring once installed would be far more durable and safer. Care should be taken when trying to do cheap and safe, they are often mutually exclusive, good value and safe is more feasible, but cheap often will not pay off in the long term and the elderly are more susceptible to injury from poorly installed systems than younger healthy person.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Doc H. for all that you have said.

I understand and will re-think what I was considering as a possible solution. I'm grateful to all who replied. The situation is much clearer now - thank you for that.

I have an electrician coming to give me his opinion and price - the best solution, I think!

Best regards,

John

Let us know what he says / advises, John. :)

Thanks Doc H. for all that you have said.I understand and will re-think what I was considering as a possible solution. I'm grateful to all who replied. The situation is much clearer now - thank you for that.

I have an electrician coming to give me his opinion and price - the best solution, I think!

Best regards,

John

Latest posts