Advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisOwen

Reaction score
Hi all,

im currently doing a course with OLCI to become a Domestic Electrical Installer, there are 7 parts to the course which at the end will give me, EAL Domestic Electrical Installer inc Part P, 17th Edition(C&G 2382-10), Inspecting, testing & Initial Verification (C&G 2392-10), PAT Testing (C&G 2377), Solar PV and Installation and Maintenance of Electric Boilers. As it is a self funded course I study from home I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on where to look for work to get some experience as ive tried everything and found this site in one of the many searches :)

Thanks,

Chris

Hi all,im currently doing a course with OLCI to become a Domestic Electrical Installer, there are 7 parts to the course which at the end will give me, EAL Domestic Electrical Installer inc Part P, 17th Edition(C&G 2382-10), Inspecting, testing & Initial Verification (C&G 2392-10), PAT Testing (C&G 2377), Solar PV and Installation and Maintenance of Electric Boilers. As it is a self funded course I study from home I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on where to look for work to get some experience as ive tried everything and found this site in one of the many searches :)

Thanks,

Chris
Welcome to the forum, out of curiosity ask OLCI what relevance PAT testing has to Domestic electrical installation work? This is a sure sign that someone is trying to fleece you for unnecessary training, on a extra bit of paper that is never needed to install domestic electrical cables. Many electrical employees would bypass selecting people from these sort of courses due to the limited knowledge and experience that is attained after sitting them. (possibly you have already found this as you say you have tried everything?) Typically there is very little underpinning theory of electrical science taught, which is an essential requirement to be able to correctly and safely design install and maintain electrical systems. These fast track courses are mostly based around learning regs and coaching on how to pass a multiple choice exam. What maths and physics qualifications have you got? Do you have a good grasp of ohms law and transposition of formula? Have you already paid for the OLCI course? To be quite honest I doubt many on here will be able to guide you to many realistic hands-on experience opportunities.

Doc H.

Welcome to the forum

Personally I think the only work experience you are likely to be offered ( if any ) would be unpaid.

Unfortunately a lack of hands on knowledge and understanding, to my mind, would put you behind the likes of a normal young college based apprentice when it comes to placements.

How long is this course taking?

How much is the course costing?

The key to you making something from this is work experience, without it you will struggle to make any impression on most company's so although I can't offer an easy answer to your question I do think you should not underestimate this and make gaining any experience your priority

Now now gents :) what background did you come from mate ?
ive done a bit labouring and been to college and to do a bricklaying course and a bathroom and kitchen fitter course

And how long is this lot taking?What PRACTICAL training have you had or are getting?
its over 2 years and you do practical training at the training centre but its not exactly on the job experience unfortunately :/

Welcome to the forum, out of curiosity ask OLCI what relevance PAT testing has to Domestic electrical installation work? This is a sure sign that someone is trying to fleece you for unnecessary training, on a extra bit of paper that is never needed to install domestic electrical cables. Many electrical employees would bypass selecting people from these sort of courses due to the limited knowledge and experience that is attained after sitting them. (possibly you have already found this as you say you have tried everything?) Typically there is very little underpinning theory of electrical science taught, which is an essential requirement to be able to correctly and safely design install and maintain electrical systems. These fast track courses are mostly based around learning regs and coaching on how to pass a multiple choice exam. What maths and physics qualifications have you got? Do you have a good grasp of ohms law and transposition of formula? Have you already paid for the OLCI course? To be quite honest I doubt many on here will be able to guide you to many realistic hands-on experience opportunities.Doc H.
its not a fast track course and its designed around BS7671??...ive got a-level quantitative methods (maths) but only gcse physics, at the minute im working through learning BS7671 and Part P of the building Regs

Welcome to the forumPersonally I think the only work experience you are likely to be offered ( if any ) would be unpaid.

Unfortunately a lack of hands on knowledge and understanding, to my mind, would put you behind the likes of a normal young college based apprentice when it comes to placements.

How long is this course taking?

How much is the course costing?

The key to you making something from this is work experience, without it you will struggle to make any impression on most company's so although I can't offer an easy answer to your question I do think you should not underestimate this and make gaining any experience your priority
yeah i work 4 on 4 off at the minute so being unpaid for 1 or 2 days when im off wouldnt have been a problem just for the experience and to gain some knowledge, i know these sort of courses are usually frowned upon by employers but as ill be registered as a competent person maybe my own business would be the way to go, or emigrate lol

But this course will not get you registered, it should get you the absolute basic qualifications to allow you to apply to a Part P scheme operator such as Elecsa, NAPIT or the NICEIC to whom you will have to proove your knowledge and skills (pay the fees)

Wouldn't do the PV bit, at least not for a while as demand has been destroyed by the greenest government ever X(

Ideally you need to shadow an experienced sparky, but failing that it's time to poke around your own house and then pester friends and neighbours for small jobs done dirt cheap to gain experience and confidence. Other than that just read lots of posts, admire peoples pictures and read lots of electrical catalogues to get a feel for materials and solutions to problems.

would i be correct in saying you would need to become Part-P registered this year as next year NVQ level 3 will be needed to join self certification part-P fun club.

But this course will not get you registered, it should get you the absolute basic qualifications to allow you to apply to a Part P scheme operator such as Elecsa, NAPIT or the NICEIC to whom you will have to proove your knowledge and skills (pay the fees)
no it wont and yes i will but money isnt an issue as i have a good job at the min. I was looking at going on the Domestic Electrical Installer scheme with NICEIC

Wouldn't do the PV bit, at least not for a while as demand has been destroyed by the greenest government ever X( Ideally you need to shadow an experienced sparky, but failing that it's time to poke around your own house and then pester friends and neighbours for small jobs done dirt cheap to gain experience and confidence. Other than that just read lots of posts, admire peoples pictures and read lots of electrical catalogues to get a feel for materials and solutions to problems.
yeah i know the government has done a number on the solar side of the course but i am hoping to emigrate one day so it may come in handy :) im already pestering family and friends and once im up to speed i have my own place that could do with an upgrade as its an old house

would i be correct in saying you would need to become Part-P registered this year as next year NVQ level 3 will be needed to join self certification part-P fun club.
yeah thats correct but ive spoke to someone at NICEIC and if you register you have an additional 12 months from registration but i hope to be through this part of the course in the next few month

If you have a good job then y on earth do u want to b a spark its not all its cracked up to be or have u been promised 50 k a year like other members on here

If you have a good job then y on earth do u want to b a spark its not all its cracked up to be or have u been promised 50 k a year like other members on here
no im not living in the clouds mate i know thats an unrealistic figure and what youre looking to earn, like i said before i work 4 on 4 off at the minute so i have the time to do the course and do odd jobs on my 4 days off build my confidence and portfolio and im even willing to work for free for the experience.

i do like the welcoming vibe you get in here though :/

Hello. I could not post a new thread, I don't know why. If I've posted this incorrectly I do apologise.

Good Day,

First post, great forum, great ideas.

I am looking in pursuing my next step as an Electrician to an Electrical Engineer. I am told I can register as an Engineering Technician (Eng Tech) with my current qualification and experience (5 years LV, ELV Fire & Security).

A am told (By the IET) that my qualifications require additional study, an HND minimal to be recognised as an Incorporated Electrical Engineer (IEng).

I have found a college, UCK London that offer a HND Distance Learning over 2 years. This is a Edexcel BTEC In Electrical Engineering.

Has anyone anywhere, ever studied distance learning at this college, is it a valid HND (having trouble finding reviews) and is more importantly, the jump from Approved Electrician with the JIB To Amateur Electrical Engineer worth the massive push to attain IEng status. (particularly the extensive maths involved!)

I've looked through the vast posts on forums/phone calls/spoken to friends/colleagues but have reached a mental pause. Can anyone give me advice I would appreciate it so much.

Cheers,

Serpico

Latest posts