Anybody Got A Spare Xmas Miracle

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just need a bit of a rant and I have no-one else I can rant to. You don't have to read this and it may get a bit boring, but hey...

Over the last couple of years me and the mrs had been deciding whether to extend our property or move. 6 months ago we very nearly set our minds on extending but then the wife says 'what if we go through all this and the still want to move back to the village (the village we both come from). ****** it then, we are moving. So, we looked at a few houses as you do and found one we both liked but because we hadn't actually got our's on the market we couldn't put an offer in. Big rush, get our's on the market and an offer in so we can offer on new one. well......... that didn't work out and we missed the house. It took 3 weeks from putting ours on market to accepting an offer and luckily spotted another house to buy. Happy Days. Nice short chain too. The house we are now buying, the owners already have their new house and are ready to move asap. The people buying our house have no chain behind. All our financials are essentially setup from looking at extending.

Well, this was early September, fast forward to today. We are desparate to move with it being so close to xmas. Our house is practicallly paked up so no room for a tree etc. We are living out of boxes and have thrown most of our old furnature away with new stuff ordered and waiting in the shops to be delivered. BUT WE CAN'T MOVE YET!

Our solicitor is like my back side, saying they have not received paperwork etc when we know damn well they have as it was sent signed for, etc. Other solicitors not able to contact ours, etc. On top of that, the people buying our house have had mortgage issues and have had to change solicitors mid process.

The seller in front proposed a date of this Friday (FINALLY, we thought, Phew). We have accepted the date and proposed backwards to our buyer. He agreed verbally to me and emailed his solicitor to confirm as he couldn't speak direct to them on the day (last Friday). Me and the Mrs have been excited all weekend thinking it would be a case of their solicitor confirming today and all would be good. In fact the wife even phoned the bed shop and arranged the bed to be delivered this coming Friday afternoon to the new house.

I get a text today from the buyer basically saying that his solicitor has been in touch with him to inform him that his mortgage place need minimum 7 days to release funds. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! So, if they stand by their guns then we cannot move this Friday and it will have to be next week.

We have 2 children, 12 and 9. We currently have no tree or decorations up, We have done no xmas shopping as we a) didn't want it getting found by the children while house is upside down, b) we were hoping for a short notice move and didn't want stuff being delivered to old house once we have moved.

If we can't move this Friday, we will be looking at Friday 18th December. That will give us 1 week to get the house straight, xmas decs up, xmas shopping done, etc.

So, please, if any of you guys have any spare xmas miracles, please send one my way. We are now truely desparate.

p.s. sorry for banging on and I know there are a hell of a lot of people out there with bigger issues than me. I just want the kids to be happy this xmas. Peace and love to all x x x

If the buyer needs 7 days to get the funds released doesn't that mean next Monday (or Tuesday if nothing was done about it today)?

Well at least you have a buyer.

My house has been on the market one whole year now. One viewing, no offers.  And I thought about changing to a different agent, but most of them are honest enough to say "expect it to take 3 years to sell"

I'm just tiling the roof of my new house. the builders have been laid off in an attempt to at least get the house shell finished to wind and watertight before our savings run out. So it's just me and SWMBO tiling a roof in a Highland December.

And when it gets to wind and watertight and the savings have gone, it will just sit there, unfinished, with virtually nothing happening until we find a buyer.

Feel better now?

One thing I have resolved to never do again after this is all done and dusted, is to sell a house. You can take me away from the new one in a box.  A quick count shows I will have have sold a total of 7 properties (after this one eventually sells) at different states of the market, and in different parts of the UK, and only ONE of those has been a quick easy sale, the rest have taken between 1 and 3 years to sell.  GOD I HATE THE HOUSING MARKET.

At least I don't live in the centre of Carlisle. Some folks are worse off than us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Canoeboy said:
At least your not getting divorced as well, two highest stress levels

1. Moving

2. Divorce

Good luck and if the solicitor has had the paper work and signed for it - I'd pay him a visit and show him the signed for slip and ask for a discount on your bill for incompetence
It has crossed my mind

Well at least you have a buyer.

My house has been on the market one whole year now. One viewing, no offers.  And I thought about changing to a different agent, but most of them are honest enough to say "expect it to take 3 years to sell"

I'm just tiling the roof of my new house. the builders have been laid off in an attempt to at least get the house shell finished to wind and watertight before our savings run out. So it's just me and SWMBO tiling a roof in a Highland December.

And when it gets to wind and watertight and the savings have gone, it will just sit there, unfinished, with virtually nothing happening until we find a buyer.

Feel better now?

One thing I have resolved to never do again after this is all done and dusted, is to sell a house. You can take me away from the new one in a box.  A quick count shows I will have have sold a total of 7 properties (after this one eventually sells) at different states of the market, and in different parts of the UK, and only ONE of those has been a quick easy sale, the rest have taken between 1 and 3 years to sell.  GOD I HATE THE HOUSING MARKET.

At least I don't live in the centre of Carlisle. Some folks are worse off than us.
I feel for you buddy. That is a rubbish situation. How comes so long for sale? do you live in the middle of nowhere?

As for the people of Carlise......well.....wow. These are terrible disasters that are happening more and more frequent. House insurance there will be a joke going forward.

I know there are tons of people worse off that me and my issue is just first world stuff. Doesn't stop it annoying the hell out of me, nor upsetting an already depressed wife. This was supposed to be a happy time for her.

Ah well

the one that I felt really sorry for in Carlisle was a couple who were flooded 5 years ago. Their house was for sale. they had a buyer before the flood. They very calmly said to the news reporter "I bet he's not buying it now"

Yes we are in the Highlands, but not that remote, only 3 miles from a town and 23 miles from Inverness.  there was a time, not very long ago when people saw the Highlands as a desirable place to move to for the scenery, slower more relaxed pace of life, etc.

But the housing market stinks.  Two of my previous sales (one took a year, the other nearly 3 years) were in Oxfordshire. You can't blame that as a poor location with no demand.

There was a miracle I heard of  Barx ,  bloke with a loan company got into financial trouble , threw himself off a bridge into the river,  this other bloke jumped in and dragged him out ,  think his name was Clarence .  They got back to town and it was like he had never existed , his missus didn;t know him , he had no kids , all the folk whose money he lost were on Shytte Street .  But this bloke Clarence was a real geezer and got all sorted & put back as it should be ,  yep a real angel , old Clarence .    Its a Wonderful Life....if you don't weaken   :innocent   ;)   

Solicitors move at a snail's pace ........probably because there is no end product just a pile of paperwork . 

The builder I work with a lot , offered an elderly woman who was selling , more than she was asking .   He wanted to do the place up & move in himself.

Woman accepted the offer,  he had the money ready, no chain either way .   Easy peasy you'd think .......... 1 year later he got the keys ....woman's solicitors were useless ...... then his solicitors discover that when the road was shut off by an old folks complex, leaving just 5 houses in a , now, cul-de-sac , the council forgot to re-adopt the road , legally no one has a right to go to & from their houses ...............    took the council a year to rubber stamp a document  but the sale could not go ahead , mainly because , although some guy had it would be fine , you can all carry on ,  he could leave , or die and no one would know anything about it , and another year would pass.  

Think yourself lucky PD.

When I was growing up my parents decided to move.... in '92.. and put the house up for sale

Various issues including chains falling apart because of someone pulling up further up, or the buyer for my parents house suddenly dropping dead!

We finally moved in Sept '98. into rented accomodation after my Parents decided to be a break in the chain!

More recently I bought a property in Sept. 2013. It was empty with no chain. Me and missus were first time buyers. The seller gave us a month to exchange contacts before he put it on auction again* I did it with about 3 days to spare. But I was on the phone at least daily!

*(it had been perviosly and didn't sell.... I made an offer lower than one he had had months before..... [he had dropped that, tried to sell to a developer for higher which then fell through!.... karma!])

xmas trees and decor don't make Xmas, family do, and if you are living out of  a box, then you won't forget it! Was it last year people had power cuts and cooked the turkey on the BBQ?

As for solicitors, the part P police - firkin waste of time the lot of the lazy barstewards!!!

I can sympathise. We moved in on the 11th September this year. It took us 511 days to get there.  :coat

So we were in the same state LAST xmas. It's s**** and no one seems to do anything. Especially the pr*cks you're paying!!!!!

we had a brilliant solicitor,

from contact to actually having the papers in our hand [so to speak] in about 4 weeks, got the house last working day before xmas 2007,

[missus 7 months pregnant and we had to be out of our rented place by 6th Jan]

no chain, estate agents, or mortgage advisors may have helped a bit,

she even stayed late the day before last working day before xmas I sat with her until 8pm while the papers were faxed across so I could sign them,

then she got her boss to bend the rules so I could pay cash [they were only meant to accept 200£ cash] the next day as a cheque wouldnt have been cleared in time and they couldnt do a money Tx for some reason,

[note, had to be next day as I couldnt get enough 'traceable' cash, it had to come with a bank withdrawal receipt for them to accept over the 200£ limit,]

I think the key is getting a good solicitor, in my limited experience,

The storey continues.

Been battling to get the mortgage funds from buyer for last couple of days, his company finally agree to it at 3:30 today ready for the exchange tomorrow. I said to wife while we were waiting, just call the estate agents of the seller in front, making sure they are still fine with it being so late waiting for decision.......

So, we got the call at 3:30, good to go. Very excited. just about to call mortgage company for buildings insurance cover note when the wife calls me back to tell me the estate agent called back.

Turns out their solicitor never even told them the planned completion date that they propsed in the first place, so no they aren't ready, cannot complete tomorrow and can't move out until 22nd of Dec :facepalm:

You have to laugh or you'd cry. Oh wait, the wife has cried most of afternoon.

Dread to think what would have happened had the wife not called.

precisely sod all! This is what makes moving house painful, all those professional and v expensive people don't seem to be able to organise a pee up in a pub. They just don't seem to care one jot, so it's actually easier to harass the flipping lot yourself to keep things moving..

1 other point, don't let the thieving twat solicitors keep the interest on the money transfers, it may only be in their bank account for 1 day, but that is your money and it earns interest - I am also convinced that the legal ******* deliberately delay the money transfers to gain extra interest.....make it clear you want the interest on your money before they get hold of it and delay things!

Well today 'should' be the big day. Solicitors should have exchanged yesterday ready fr completion today but by the time our solicitor got into the office, the sellers had gone home (honestly people, you can't make this up).

So, the van is booked and I going to pick it up very soon. The solicitors should all be in office early doors. Exchange first thing. Load van up whilst completing then go get the damn keys.

Now, who things this is actaully going to go to plan after all the fannying about we have had???? <_<