Are they really qualified?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murraymint

Reaction score
Here is an example of a qualified electricians work at a family member home. Anyone see the issues? I’m not saying that there are certain bits of work that need to be done by a qualified person but this is work that a homeowner / DIY can carry out.

Attachments

• IMG_1680.jpeg
    IMG_1680.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1679.jpeg
    IMG_1679.jpeg
    1,007.6 KB · Views: 2
What’s your trade Murray?
I’m a network engineer of 30 year’s experience, If I don’t make good connections I generally find the stuff doesn’t work but thankfully no one will be put at risk. Yes I know I’m not a qualified electrician but looking at the earthing arrangement troubled me, in addition, the conductor is not doubled over in the earth terminal, my understanding is that when a single conductor is terminated that it needs to be doubled over to ensure that there is a good connection. I’ll stand corrected if earthing the back box is not needed but there is a terminal in the box and surely it would be better to use it.

No there isnt if it has at least one fixed lug but the IEE say it is good practice to do so. I have always put an earth lead across to the x, it's no real hardship and just 'may' make a difference one day.

i almost always take an earth to it too, however that's my preference and that doesn't mean ill say those who don't are wrong

no requirement for it to be doubled over

as for the earth... i assume you'd also want one taken to this terminal too?

View attachment 15342
I've often wondered why they put them in plastic boxes......... maybe just for convenience when used with accessories other than sockets which may not need an earth attached to them, somewhere to park the unused conductor.

There is nothing in the Regs that state you have to 'double over' the conductors in a socket

Your absolutely correct, however it’s a good idea to fill the terminal with copper to ensure a good connection and that the conductor is securely held in place.

Your absolutely correct, however it’s a good idea to fill the terminal with copper to ensure a good connection and that the conductor is securely held in place.
More about not cutting through the copper with the terminal screw, although some terminals have clamps. It's not essential to double over the conductor, but it's considered good practice.

So one piece of 1.5 mm into the earth connection is ok assuming it’s actually held in place by the screw but most continuity issues on ring circuits are caused by the earth/ cpc falling out so doubling back the core is a good idea imho

I always double back up to 4.0 but never a cpc to the back box unless the reference method requires it.