Australia

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrishornby

Reaction score
Hello all...Been a while sorryBlushing

Over in Perth now and finally working. I've managed to get a job as a electrical trades assistant (mate). Nobody will touch you without your A-grade electrical license which I'm in the process of getting. The TRA trades recognition australia take an age to sort out applications!

I find the standard not as high as in U.K. as far as testing goes. Here you need to go on a 2 week course to qualify you as an electrical contractor before you can work for yourself. The choice of products here is very limited but the Aussies don't question anything so things stay the same. I find the building trade very behind in general. All the downlights are transformer low voltage, no mains which I think makes sense for cutting down installation times.

Um, lots to say but too much to put in this post. I will answer any questions you guys have, on the plus side the weather's awesome and no-one's to much into working too hard!!!

Hope everyone is doing well in their businesses/work.

Cracking site thisApplaud Smiley

I'd second what Specs says.

Don't be a stranger Mate. ;)

How are you finding it generally.

We have Australian relatives who were over here recently. Speaking to them, I get the impression Australia is a bureaucratic nightmare. They say you can't do anything on your own home without a permit and qualifications. Self builders for instance have to do a course and get a permit before they can do anything.