Automatic gates & Access Control

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinRed

Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping for some info on above topic.

Has anyone, or do you know of diagrams which give details of cabling needed for the control of electric gates.

Would like the gates to be controlled by a coded video intercom.

Need to know how many cores/cables need to go the the gates other than the supply cable. Have installed a kit before which was just coded audio and ran a 5 pair poly but seem to remember all cores being used, so thinking more will be need for video.

Would welcome info from experts on the subject, and also how they would wire/connect the set-up, ie siting of the video phone, transformer for the same and links to any other internal video phone or audio phone.

Have a new build on at the moment and so far have run 90 mtrs 5 pair poly/poly and 90 mtrs 2.5 swa to gate posistion.

All info and any links appreciated.

Regards

Paul.

you need to choose a gate opening system suitable to the gate then obtain the power requirements usually just a supply for a single control box that houses the motor control circuits and more commonly radio remote receiver so you can open the gate from in your car.

if your wanting to have control of the gate from a remote location like the gate is at the end of a long drive then possibly remotes won't work that far so you will need a system that incorporates provision for that in a hardwired manner.

i would suspect that a video intercom will be a entirely seperate system. just google video intercoms and specify the distance from gate to house etc

The last gates I did, only required a live feed as the gate opener is fully prewired.

I then installed a video system which I wired into the control panel on the opener, so that the key to open the gates on the internal video link activated the pedestrian, or vehicle access.

It would all depend on the type of gate opener you are using.

I ran all the control cables from the house to the gate in buried conduit and used cat5E.

They are reletively very simple to wire, and all have wiring diagrams for all types of installation.

I have completed several sets of auto gates to date , so i am familar with the set up, but the gates i have done to date have all been controlled by the remote keyfob. I was just hoping to get advice from someone who deals with gate automation on a day to day basis who could give more info on what is needed for video/ audio/ coded access.

Guess i`ll try somewhere else.

Thanks.