Awkward or not?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even in this day and age, the idea that a court would seriously find in favour of someone who, in the course of a mindless act of aggravated trespass/criminal damage, had electrocuted themselves on an installation that was in every way safe before their actions, is faintly ridiculous.

Tell the jobsworth caretaker to ____ off and do a risk assessment, after consulting with the HSE, or whatever else keeps him busy for a while.

Besides, the building should have a Public Liability policy to protect against even such an unlikely eventuality - has anyone looked at the terms of the policy or contacted them to see if this sort of silliness is required by them?

This is the problem with this country I reckon. Everyone is running scared from the possibility that something might just possibly happen, and as a result nothing ever gets done. Or if it does it takes 3 times as long and costs 10 times as much as it needs to!

bad day explode

Rant over!

Okay then, lets look at a couple of other salient points:

presumably you were given permission to carry out these works? Presumably whoever was responsible for giving you that permission knew what it was that was to be done?

Did they make any stipulations about the design? Did they have any 'h&s' concerns before hand? If they didn't lay down any requirements, then they can't really complain afterwards (although in reality this doesn't sound like a "proper" complaint, more someone puffing their own chest out)

Think of this as a PR opportunity. Go and see the manager yourself. If you're seen to be friendly and approachable it will pay dividends in the future. Think about it, if the centre leccy is as useless as appears, everyone will know this. If you're there and seen to be "good" and "efficient" then you might get work in the future from members of staff - goodwill is a powerful attraction to people looking for a tradesman.

They have this obsession that someone is going to come along with a sledgehammer and break these sockets off the wall, grab hold of the wires, dance about a bit and then sue them for getting a shock. The fact that this place has no passing traffic, is not a thoroughfare and has a big fence around it doesn't suggest to me that a train load of pikeys are waiting, armed with an array of socket-demolishing weapons, to go on a tirade of weatherproof socket pilfering. If they were THAT concerned about vandalism they'd have better lighting and one of those hi-tech CCTV things that Badger has to prevent pond breakages!.

In simple terms - yes, permission was given, no - they didn't have any design stipulations and no - there were no H&S mumblings beforehand. What WAS made quite clear was that car wash bloke would not have access to the dist board hence the reasons for the RCD on the sockets. I could bung a couple of RCBOs in and be done with it, sod discrimination, but i'd consider it unprofessional on my part.

Chest puffing is a good way of putting it. Think i'll have words with this caretaker and get him to bring the company leccie down and show me in the BRB where it does not comply. Then, i'll take it from there.