Bathroom hairdryer point

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuelec

Reaction score
A client has asked for permanent hairdryer point in bathrooms of a large house i am currently rewiring. Has anyone done one? do they exist? or is it simply a fused spur point with a hairdryer hard wired. I have come across them in hotels in other countries but don't ever recall seeing one here in the UK. There are already shaver points in the bathroom so the client is obviously not keen to use an adapter plug for the hairdryer. She is after some sort of permanent attachment although a hard wired hairdryer into a fused spur seems a bit untidy to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I'd be against advising the usage of any appliance in a bathroom. Seems to me a hairdryer in a bathroom would be used near a mirror which would likely be over the sink or in close proximity and not in a safe zone. Other European countries and the US seem to think it's acceptable for power outlets in close proximity to sinks and baths but our regs don't see it that way and quite rightly so. Of course if this is a large bathroom and the 3m safe zone can be applied then there's no issues. Would still exercise caution over this one.

I think all you can do is fit it in the same zone as the Regs now allows a socket outlet (stupid idea in my opinion but who listens to us ?) As Noz says , is it some sort of fixed appliance ? Fed via RCD obviously.

If the room is not large enough to include that zone then it I guess it can't be done.

Thanks for your replies. The required position is near the wash basin but outside of Zone 2 All circuits will be RCD protected so if the electrical apparatus is fixed to the wall with just the hose being extendable, should be OK. I wil contact TLC regarding the above unit to check. Thanks

Latest posts