becoming a self employed sparky?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benlincs

Reaction score
i've just completed my 2330 Level 2 but doig the level 3/ NVQ , is out of the window as i cannot get work and cannot afford to pay fee's and chance finding work,

my college lecture said to be self employed what i would need to do is do my 17th edition and this would allows me to apply for a Part P?

would this be a viable route?

i have most of the tools, the only thing i would need to get would be test equiptment,

cheers

Ben

do you consider yourself competant to work on your own ? if so what experience outside of college have you got ?

Hello Ben.....

Qualifications is only one part of being self employed..

there are some good threads on the forum about being self employed..

But in a nut shell you need to be sure about all the admin, book-keeping, quoting, invoicing, chasing late payments, advertising etc.. etc..

As well as having the tools & qualifications to actually do the job!

I would strongly recommend you get down the library or the local bookshop & find some books on self employment..

there are loads.. & they don't cost much..

e.g. what sort of business Sole trader, Partnerships, Ltd Company...

How to target your customers.

Whats your "Unique Selling Point".

etc..

etc..

Have a good read do a bit of research first..

Its NOT impossible, It may be your best option...

But its Bl00d7 hard work!!!!!!! :eek:

It can be worth it... Or it can be a noose round your neck!

Whatever is best.. don't choose without doing some research!

:DGuinness

If you do decide to go self employed there are two things you MUST do:

Notify HMRC that you are starting as self employed, you must do that within 3 months of starting immediately (thanks zeespark). They will send you a very helpful pack called "the right way to start your business" that tells you how to keep your accounts and file your self assessment tax return.

Get yourself some Public Liability insurance. You would be a fool to do paid work in someone's home without it.

Being a self employed electrician is not just about knowing the wiring regs. You also need to know how to lift floorboards (and replace them) how to run cables in a variety of different walls, including chasing out brick walls, how to run cables in lofts etc etc. It's as much about knowing how buildings are put together and where you can run cables, as knowing the wiring regs.

Best of luck.

i've just completed my 2330 Level 2 but doig the level 3/ NVQ , is out of the window as i cannot get work and cannot afford to pay fee's and chance finding work,my college lecture said to be self employed what i would need to do is do my 17th edition and this would allows me to apply for a Part P?

would this be a viable route?

i have most of the tools, the only thing i would need to get would be test equiptment,

cheers

Ben
Being selfemployed is not easy.....

When you come to the Part P assessment you may battle because you have no experience.

Do you live at home... what i would do is contact a local electrical contractors and offer to work for free doing 1st fix work because working on site is nothing like at college.

That way you can gain some experience (and will probably get paid) you may even be able to get a job out of it if you work hard that is :D

Then you can make the decision on what you want to do with the self employment part

default_good%20luck.gif

ta for al your replies,

do you consider yourself competant to work on your own ? if so what experience outside of college have you got ?
i would say i'm fairly competent,but i would benefit from experience. i've Mainly done own jobs really my house electrics where in a right state when i moved in,

Being selfemployed is not easy.....When you come to the Part P assessment you may battle because you have no experience.

Do you live at home... what i would do is contact a local electrical contractors and offer to work for free doing 1st fix work because working on site is nothing like at college.

That way you can gain some experience (and will probably get paid) you may even be able to get a job out of it if you work hard that is :D

Then you can make the decision on what you want to do with the self employment part

default_good%20luck.gif
forgot to mention i'm 25, and in my own house, :)

i've contacted business's before but to no success, they don't seem to be interested and unfournatley i don't know someone who might know someone, have to any tips to make myself appealing?

i'm fed up working were i am i took the job because the pay was better, my old job was servicing/selling electrical good's but it was an indi so pay wasn't great wish i kept that and done my 2330 :( just something to be going in the right direction,

p.s in anyone has work in the LINCOLN AREa O)

cheers ben

It takes a long time to build up your customers and it wont happen over night. If you know a couple of builders who you can pick work up from then you might be ok.

However, I cannot stress enough the importance of working with qualified sparks to bring on your own experience. I am 31 and have completed my 2330 level 2 and going on to level 3 in sep. I contract to a couple of firms as a mate, this also enables me to do my nvq3. Work can be a little hit and miss but seems steady at times. Try approaching your local firms as a mate/improver and set out your rate in a covering letter, or drop into their office. During the busy spells they may need a extra pair of hands and call you in.

All the schools are closing for summer and all the remedial works usually start and most firms will be in need of extra labour. Get onto it now and who knows.........

Good luck

If i was in a position to change careers, this one would be the last on the list.

In fact...no...it wouldnt even be on it.

Too many wannnabe sparks out there now to make it a good earning trade.

If i was in a position to change careers, this one would be the last on the list.In fact...no...it wouldnt even be on it.

Well i've just wasted 4 years of hard graft then :pray

If i was in a position to change careers, this one would be the last on the list.In fact...no...it wouldnt even be on it.

I totally agree, so move over and let the new boys have a go.

If your any good, earning a good crust should be no trouble to you.

I have met many old time sparks who really resent the newboys coming through but times have changed. If you fancy a change of career and want to better your life doing an apprenticeship for 4 years is totally out of the question if you have family and a mortgage to pay. So your left with one option, attend college to get qualified whilst working as a mate. I have spent two years two evenings a week up to now to complete my level 2. I have an other year of one day a week for the level 3 plus, 17th, nvq3, am2 still to go whilst working my arse off to pay the bills, sort my kids out, and spend time with the wife...... I dont have an employer who will pay my course fees, buy my tools, uniform, insurance, transport and wipe my arse, I pay for it out of my own pocket.

I think we wanna be sparks are working hard to qualify and get into the industry so cut us some slack!

..... bad day explode

You seem to mis understand.

This trade will not give you a decent wage as it is so watered down.

Its the same with plumbing.

But hey, go ahead and spend all your savings on a course, that will give you NO certainty of any work.

Not very responsible, especially if you have a family.

Im all for new people coming into the trade, and i encourage it.

Whats gets my back up is people training and career changing, and then moaning that "there isnt any work" or "no one will take me on as i have no experience".

In other words, dont lecture me about it.

I have heard it all before.

You seem to mis understand.This trade will not give you a decent wage as it is so watered down.

Its the same with plumbing.

But hey, go ahead and spend all your savings on a course, that will give you NO certainty of any work.

Not very responsible, especially if you have a family.

Im all for new people coming into the trade, and i encourage it.

Whats gets my back up is people training and career changing, and then moaning that "there isnt any work" or "no one will take me on as i have no experience".

In other words, dont lecture me about it.

I have heard it all before.
What are you talking about.

The op asked how he should get started and people have left good advice.

Yours has the undertones of bitterness.

If a person decides to pay,complete,qualify over a period of 3 years at night school plus working have you not considered that such a person might of researched potential wages, prospects, career development before they started the course only to find a recession at the end with all trades taking a hammering and many doors shut!

Before the down turn people bought and sold houses as a hobby so work was rife and I expect it will return in due course.

But at the present time people are desperate and trying their hardest.

There is no certainty of work no matter what you do with the exception of a few careers.

What are you talking about.The op asked how he should get started and people have left good advice.

Yours has the undertones of bitterness.

If a person decides to pay,complete,qualify over a period of 3 years at night school plus working have you not considered that such a person might of researched potential wages, prospects, career development before they started the course only to find a recession at the end with all trades taking a hammering and many doors shut!

Before the down turn people bought and sold houses as a hobby so work was rife and I expect it will return in due course.

But at the present time people are desperate and trying their hardest.

There is no certainty of work no matter what you do with the exception of a few careers.
well said that man:Applaud

What are you talking about.The op asked how he should get started and people have left good advice.

Yours has the undertones of bitterness. Not intended

If a person decides to pay,complete,qualify over a period of 3 years at night school plus working have you not considered that such a person might of researched potential wages, prospects, career development before they started the course only to find a recession at the end with all trades taking a hammering and many doors shut! Actually no, as there are many people in their first year asking for work. This downturn has been here longer than just 2010

Before the down turn people bought and sold houses as a hobby so work was rife and I expect it will return in due course. I hope so

But at the present time people are desperate and trying their hardest. By being conned by training companies into thinking there is a pot of gold in a sparkies house?

There is no certainty of work no matter what you do with the exception of a few careers. Agreed
My red.

Well I cannot comment for all regarding their training organization but I have studied at a good old fashioned college by qualified electricians who decided to change their careers and turn to teaching, maybe they have the correct idea???!!!!!!!!!!

However, in my class of 20 every one is over the age of 25 up to mid 50s. there is no point in being blind to the fact that some are hungry for the money as they came from jobs paying minimum wages and who can blame them. Some, myself included have taken a pay cut and are biding our time for things to pick up but we all have a genuine respect and a passion for the job and are determined in our ambition to become a graded jib electrician. I want to be a technician and then who knows, maybe a design engineer.

Do something you love and you will always be happy.

positive mental attitude.!!!!!!!

And I have found up to now that their is always work for a good lad, or lady.