Benefits of being a JIB Approved Spark??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torquayspark

Reaction score
Hi, just found this forum and this is my first post. I've been a spark for 8 years, got 2360 part 1 + 2, 17th edition and 2391 inspect and test. Have been trying to decide whether it's worth doing NVQ3 so i can get JIB approved.

What are the advantages of being JIB approved?

Have been quoted 700 quid to do NVQ 3, so want to make sure its worth doing before spending the money

Thanks

This would in large depend on what type of work you do.

For most larger sites and prospective employers its a good thing to have and is some instances the only thing people will take note of.

JIB is traceble so they can easily check your credentials.

If you intend to work for yourself you will probably never need it, I never re newed my last card and did not want to exchange approved for qualified supervisor.

I currently work for a facilities maintenance company doing electrical reactive maintenance work, but our company has just lost the contract and I have been transferred to a new company, only problem being I now spend most of my day unblocking toilets/urinalsX(! I'm glad to have a job in the present climate, but it's not for me long term. Only option I can see at the mo is getting back on the building sites when work picks up, would being JIB approved be needed for this type of work?

Short answer would be no, however there is a big BUT with that comment.

Some employers would rather employ a fully approved JIB sparky than a non JIB approved.

If they show no preference an employ any sparky your pay scale would be improved IF they pay JIB rates.

So the only real advantage would be only if they

A, show a preference

B pay JIB rates

You would be expected to be paid more as an approved JIB than not.

Thanks for your help, I think I will do my NVQ 3 and get JIB approved, I have seen quite a lot of jobs ads that say 'must be JIB approved'

Most building sites now require you to have a CSCS card before you are allowed to work on them. The ECS/JIB card is the electrical equivelant of the CSCS card

To obtain the ECS/JIB card, you must first take and pass an ECS health and safety exam, which costs about

Thanks for your replies, and thanks for your welcomes too! This forum seems a lot friendlier and more helpful than the screwfix one!

I don't do any subcontract work, I work for a firm and work at railway stations doing electrical maintenance.

I didn't do an apprenticeship, and will definately ring JIB to see whether I can get a card without NVQ 3.

Thanks again for all your help :)

Thanks for your replies, and thanks for your welcomes too! This forum seems a lot friendlier and more helpful than the screwfix one!I don't do any subcontract work, I work for a firm and work at railway stations doing electrical maintenance.

I didn't do an apprenticeship, and will definately ring JIB to see whether I can get a card without NVQ 3.

Thanks again for all your help :)
Yes Admin will not accept any nonsense.

Batty

I don't do any subcontract work, I work for a firm and work at railway stations doing electrical maintenance.

Let us know what they say. From the look of it you've been working as a general maintenance person as opposed to being an electrician. Have you had formal training in electrical work or just picked it up as you went along? If that's the case then you'll probably have to do a formal course to fill in the gaps in your knowledge.

I'm afraid that my experience of work done by "facility management" companies is pretty grim. It's really just another name for handymen.

I don't know if passing the 2361/2, 2391 and the 17th would be classed as formal training?

When I applied for my card, all I had was 2361/2 and the 16th.

To 'Spinlondon' - did you get a card with the qualifications you mentioned?

To 'Big Clive' - I agree completely with your sentiments about facilities maintenance companies!

I did train with the senior electrician in a factory for two years when I started out, which involved maintenance/install/fault finding. I then worked on various building sites/contracts doing first and second fix work and also worked for my mate who has his own business (domestic) at weekends.

Now in facilities maintenance and apart from the odd install here and there is mostly lighting maintenance.

I have emailed JIB about requirements for getting a card, hopefully get a reply tomorrow.

You will probably get the answer that you need to sit the 'what colour is a fire extingusher exam' for

Yes I got the card with those qualifications I mentioned, four years ago in April I believe. I have renewed it once since then last year in June. It only lasts 3 years, when you then have to re-sit the ECA safety test.

I don't think I would Email them, I think you would do better speaking to someone on the phone.

The JIB are not very helpful on the phone. They put the phone down on a friend of mine because the girl didn't understand the electrical qualifications.

I wouldn't bother, you would only need a JIB card if you were to work on a JIB site.

The JIB and NVQ is a joke, how many apporoved Niceic contractors or full scope Napit members are there that do not hold an NVQ? And thats not mentioning the eca or elecsa members. All government approved schemes with registers of qualified electricians. JIB doesn't seem to recongnise any of them.

Just another money making project for the JIB. Lets face it, how many cards do you actually need to show your an electrician?

I wouldn't bother, you would only need a JIB card if you were to work on a JIB site. The JIB and NVQ is a joke, how many apporoved Niceic contractors or full scope Napit members are there that do not hold an NVQ? And thats not mentioning the eca or elecsa members. All government approved schemes with registers of qualified electricians. JIB doesn't seem to recongnise any of them.

Just another money making project for the JIB. Lets face it, how many cards do you actually need to show your an electrician?
I dont have any NVQ's they didnt have them in my day. In fact all the electrical exams have all changed from the original sets we use to have.

One examiner once said to me that the electrical qualifications these days are on a par with the A level results, more and more are passing because the tests are getting easier, but thats another debate.

JIB do carry a full list of all the exams you have passed and will only supply you with a JIB card with your current status, but only if the training you did was recognised by the JIB.

Joint Industry Board.

Thats for anyone looking who may be asking who or what is the JIB.

Or any sailors who think its a sail!