Best Brand for Consumer Units

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distorted Vision

Reaction score
I need to replace the consumer unit in a domestic property I own. I am looking for a replacement 12 way split load consumer unit.

I was wondering what you all thought were the best brands for Consumer Units. The brands I was looking at were Crabtree, MK and GE. Does anyone have any opinions on those or any recommendations for other brands I should consider.

Many thanks!

I use Hager not had any fails while testing and not been back to any.

Have had a couple of MK and wylex rcds fail so stopped using them.

I believe crabtree have had some problems this year but dont use those so not sure exactly what the problems were.

personally I dont rate MK,

crabtree are good,

I actually have a Wylex at home (12way HI INTEG) and I see no problems with them at all,

although I do know some members dont like them, I think they are fine.

I will be removing one of the RCDs to give me 2 more ways so need to change some more circuits to RCBOs, are you sure 12 ways are enough.

maybe its just me and going overkill in my own place, but I need more ways. :)

+1

Put a biggish one in, then you`ve got plenty of expansion room ( the cost difference is minimal......)

As for make; I use most of the decent makes; but generally use contactum, as they don`t tend to have problems - for domestic.

If it`s a spec. job, Dorman-Smith or Merlin-Gerin would be the preferred option; though I do like the design of the newer Hager boards.

Think its mainly personal preference; though most on here won`t rate the "cheapo" brands.

KME

Im not saying I rate Wylex that highly,

just saying I have one and it is fine,

I wouldnt have bought it specifically, but I had one kicking around so fitted it and all seems well apart from not enough ways.

I need to replace the consumer unit in a domestic property I own. I am looking for a replacement 12 way split load consumer unit.I was wondering what you all thought were the best brands for Consumer Units. The brands I was looking at were Crabtree, MK and GE. Does anyone have any opinions on those or any recommendations for other brands I should consider.

Many thanks!
Hello Distorted Vision, welcome to the forum. Is this a replacemnt consumer unit for the one on your other 'Broken Cover' thread? http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=163114#post163114

I assume from your other questions you are not a qualified electrician, sorry if I am wrong, if unqualified, it is probably best to get a couple of electricians in to quote for supply and install. As this work will need a Building regulations compliance certificate and some addition RCD protection, you don't want to go out and purchase an inappropriate board. Even at screwfix prices you could get a board in the

I will be removing one of the RCDs to give me 2 more ways so need to change some more circuits to RCBOs, are you sure 12 ways are enough.maybe its just me and going overkill in my own place, but I need more ways. :)
You're not even trying!

up lights

up lights

down lights

outside lights

shed/greenhouse

pond supply

heating supply

internet/network supply

computer sockets

burglar alarm

cctv supply

up sockets ring

down sockets ring

kitchen sockets ring

cooker

shower

security light on front

outdoor socket on front x 2

:p :D

Hi Doc Hudson. Yes Its a replacement consumer unit for the one discussed in the other thread.

Yes I'm not a qualified electrician and just to clarify I won't be doing any of the work myself. The reason I want to buy everything myself is because I want to chose one and also because a mate who works at the head office of one of the largest electrical distributors owes me a favour and so I can get it really cheap. My parents had a consumer unit fitted and the electrician fitted a Square D Domae and personally I think the rubbish the enclosure is quite flimsy.

Anyway, my electrician in Leeds has done work for me before. He's excellent and familiar with the property. I'll email him to check the board is suitable before I go ahead and purchase it.

Hello Distorted Vision, welcome to the forum. Is this a replacemnt consumer unit for the one on your other 'Broken Cover' thread? http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=163114#post163114I assume from your other questions you are not a qualified electrician, sorry if I am wrong, if unqualified, it is probably best to get a couple of electricians in to quote for supply and install. As this work will need a Building regulations compliance certificate and some addition RCD protection, you don't want to go out and purchase an inappropriate board. Even at screwfix prices you could get a board in the

up lightsup lights

down lights

outside lights

shed/greenhouse

pond supply

heating supply

internet/network supply

computer sockets

burglar alarm

cctv supply

up sockets ring

down sockets ring

kitchen sockets ring

cooker

shower

security light on front

outdoor socket on front x 2

:p :D
What about the Christmas 'illuminations'?

What about the Christmas 'illuminations'?
that is supplied from the shed circuits consumer unit, 6 way C/u comprising, shed light (1) shed light (2) (we have 2 sheds :p ) shed socket (shed1) outdoor socket shed 1 christmas lights supply and outdoor garden lighting mcb supply :p :Spam2